aftermarket seats

pajerry

:
Mazda Protege 5 2002 black
Hi all,

I am very new to the idea of modifying my P5. It just turned 200 000 km, and I decided I want to keep it running as long as I can.

Here's question #1 (of what might be many over time...):

I am 6'1" and while I'd rate everything about the P5 a 5/5, the seats are a 2/5 or 3/5 at best. I would really like to install different seats. Could someone point me to the kind of thing I should be looking at? I am really new at this, so I don't have a sense of brands, or styles, or what would be involved if I tackled this kind of job on my own.

Thanks,

Paul

Thanks for the info.

Looks like we have the same car/model. Any other tips for things I could be doing with it? I have my mechanic going over it next week to let me know what it needs, and am open to making changes to the suspension, the interior and exterior look, etc. I do mainly longer highway driving, thus the seats as a priority.

Thanks,

Paul

racing seats i find uncomfortable for taller people. and heavier people. b4 u buy try and find somewhere where u can sit and test em out. thats what i reccomend

Corbeau's are good quality. I had them on my previous car and was actually sponsored by them. I had the A4's, but those aren't recommended for anyone over 34" waist. They do have seats for larger drivers as well. The only downside to them is that stock fabric material. It wears rather quicly and can stain. I had mine rewrapped in leather and it was perfect.

Damn, that's actually within reach! Nice! Are they good quality?

I've never looked at seats, as they're usually crazy expensive. Are they safe, I mean will you be screwed in an accident, or do they have to adhere to some safety standard, like a bike helmet?

They're fatter, wouldn't they raise the seat bottom up a bit? headroom isn't generous in these cars, I couldn't drive one with a sunroof, and I'm only 6'0".

They're fatter, wouldn't they raise the seat bottom up a bit? headroom isn't generous in these cars, I couldn't drive one with a sunroof, and I'm only 6'0".

They are not bad...I have them in my car and I am 6'2" and about 305...

P5's have tons of headroom. I have the moonroof and there is plenty of space (I'm 6'4"). Do racing seats lift you higher? I always figured they would bring you lower.

Hm, I sat in a P5 with leather seats and a sunroof, and my 1/2 spikey hair was brushing the headliner. Really annoying. I do have a long torso, short legs, relative to some people, but no where near a 6'4" dude. Weird. Yes, me seats are all the way lowered. :)

My impreza had headroom, you could wear a ten gallon cowboy hat in there.

Corbeaus are not really good seats. They're cheap but from what I've seen they don't look that good nor do they hold up well. The better seat brands out there (that I can think of) are Recaro, Sparco, Bride, Status, etc. Also, as for size and weight, most racing seats will not fit you well if you have a waste size over 34-36. Sure some brand offer "wide" seats but in my experience they aren't much better. I'm only 5'-9", 150 lbs so I fit in just about everything. Also, usually racing seats sit you lower. You will also find out that it's very hard to find Protege specific seat brackets. The best place for those is Wedge engineering and from what I understand they custom make the brackets to your seat model and car.

I have long legs, but i didn't factor in spikey hair (i keep mine short) I will recind my statement of a ton of headroom (i paid close attention over the weekend) but I wouldn't expect anyone to think there is too little headroom. Opinions are opinions, and it sounds like you ended up with a P5 anyways! :)

I have corbeaus and they are the most comfortable racing seats I sat in and I sat in sparco rec. brides. Plus with their brackets it lowered the seat down alot im 5'8 and I have over a foot of head room lol.

Mazdaspeed 3 seats aren't a direct swap and bolt, are they? I take it they have a different seat frame? That'd be awesome if I could just swap them.

I find the seats really uncomfortable too. I'm 6'3", but with a real long torso. There's zero lower back support. My back just kind of caves in, and I hunch while driving. It's fine for 2 hours or so. But hit the third hour, and I can barely walk when I get out.

I'm 6'0" and I find the stock seats pretty comfortable but I agree there's not loads of headroom although it's enough for me (short hair lol)

ok well i'm 6'4 and don't don't really find it that bad, but if you really want you can extend the rails, as far as head room goes which i still don't even have a prob with at 6'4 you can get the seats lowered, will cost less than getting new one.

Back