Aftermarket Rims

MSPsunset02.jpg

Enkei EKM3's 17 x 7 at 45mm offset

IMGP1620.jpg

And my soon to be mounted summer setup: '06 Miata MX-5 rims 17 x 7 @ 55mm offset with Ichiba cnc-cut 10mm hubcentric spacers

Noob wheel/tire questions:

If the MX5 rim is a 17 X 7, why do you need spacers and the offset?

Will it not fit on the MSP like an 17" OEM Racing Hart rim?

Will you run the same size 215/45/R17 tire?

Noob wheel/tire questions:

If the MX5 rim is a 17 X 7, why do you need spacers and the offset?

Will it not fit on the MSP like an 17" OEM Racing Hart rim?

Will you run the same size 215/45/R17 tire?

You need a spacer with the Miata wheel because the way the back of it (the inside) is designed it won't clear the larger brake setup on the MSP without shimming it away from the hub at least 5mm. 10mm spacers net to a 45 offset which fills out the wheel wells nicely and allows the use of 215/45-17 tires without any fender rub.

Okay I think I may be tracking. Thanks for your reply dude.

Looks I'll be getting a set of 07 MX5 rims as a present and needed to know if it'll be a PITA to mount and use w/out a buncha accessories.

Where can I acquire the spacers (any local Pep Boys or Auto Zone) and will it require longer lugs?

Last edited:
For everyone running 235/40/17s, offsets ~+48:

1.) What size spacers are you running?
2.) Are you guys using extended studs?
3.) Where should I get extended studs?

Thanks. I know I saw some people on 235s or higher in the thread...but its so tedious to go through every page...
17x8 +45 with 235/40 and I am not using any spacers or extended studs

Im pretty low with rolled fenders -2.1 degree camber rears and -2.25 on the fronts. Ya I rub over deep dips but its worth it

17x8 +45 with 235/40 and I am not using any spacers or extended studs

Im pretty low with rolled fenders -2.1 degree camber rears and -2.25 on the fronts. Ya I rub over deep dips but its worth it

Thanks for the reply. Would spacers help the rubbing?

spacers would increase the rubbing because they would push the wheel against the fender lip more.

Okay I think I may be tracking. Thanks for your reply dude.

Looks I'll be getting a set of 07 MX5 rims as a present and needed to know if it'll be a PITA to mount and use w/out a buncha accessories.

Where can I acquire the spacers (any local Pep Boys or Auto Zone) and will it require longer lugs?

If you use a 5mm spacer (available lots of places) you should be able to mount the new wheels using the stock lugs and lug nuts. If you go to 10mm like I'm doing, you have to replace your lugs with longer ones or you wont catch enough threads with your lug nuts to hold the wheel on securely. I got Ichiba brand spacers. They are hubcentric, which means they center perfectly on the hub and the wheel centers perfectly on the spacer. The Ichiba spacers come with the extended lugs to replace the stockers with.

Last edited:
I believe I've got it. The hub centric spacer will center on the hub itself and has a 'lip' or ring that the rim will center on as well since the main force of the wheel needs to be supported by the hub not the lugs/studs.

Has anyone had or noticed pre-mature wear of the bearings when using spacers? One of the local tire shops gave me a detailed explanation of possible negative effects when using spacers. They won't mount tires on cars that are using spacers..

I believe I've got it. The hub centric spacer will center on the hub itself and has a 'lip' or ring that the rim will center on as well since the main force of the wheel needs to be supported by the hub not the lugs/studs.

Has anyone had or noticed pre-mature wear of the bearings when using spacers? One of the local tire shops gave me a detailed explanation of possible negative effects when using spacers. They won't mount tires on cars that are using spacers..

Yeah... I get that from my tire guys too. But 10mm is only about 3/8" and shouldn't be an issue if wheels are properly aligned. The problems occur when using non-hubcentric spacers without using extended lugs so all of the stress is on the outer end of the lugs with too little thread into the lugnuts. They don't want the liability when the wheel breaks off and I don't blame them. When using spacers into the 20mm and wider category there is definitely more stress on tie rods and ball joints that could contribute to premature wear, so I'm avoiding that too. I think a bigger problem is when guys lower their cars dramatically, which screws up the camber on the wheels, unless they invest the money in new camber plates/bolts to correct the problem.

end result folks...

DSC00430.jpg

DSC00425.jpg

DSC00424.jpg

DSC00427.jpg

Technically these would not be considered 'after-market' would they? (uhm)

Thanks for the vote and for all your information over the last couple of weeks Laser Blue. Your earlier postings influenced me to get moving...(rei)

Thanks for the vote and for all your information over the last couple of weeks Laser Blue. Your earlier postings influenced me to get moving...(rei)

... and your pics have motivated me to get moving on mine. I'm gonna try to get mine on this week, so we can be twins!

Looking at upgrading 17 inch 5 spoke to 18 polished black. Thoughts/suggestions on what max tire size is?

225/40/R18 is what I was told...seems a little wide though.

Thanks.

No, they're 17's, but something about the design makes them look bigger than the Enkeis I had on before.
mickey.jpg

the mx-5 rims emphasis on the spokes compared to your signature where the emphasis is on the spokes ending at the outer ring, showing more of the side wall of your tire. The new wheels look great

Am i crazy for liking these???

whats up guys i want to go different from racing harts and know i want black rims with a red or chrome lip i saw these what you all think. please dont be bashful lol oh yeah my msp is black

Attachments

• 270684[1].jpg
    270684[1].jpg
    22 KB · Views: 368

Latest posts

Back