Aftermarket HID Install/Retrofit

07LiquidCX7

:
2007 Mazda CX-7 Sport Pckg
Did you get a Sport CX-7 and are tired of not having HID headlights? My wife and I did and after a week of no HID's we couldn't handle it anymore. So I ordered an H7 Hid kit off of Ebay ($83 shipped). Ok to start off, save yourself some hassle and go ahead and remove the front wheel of the side you are working on. I tried to do this with the wheel on the car on the driver's side and it was just not worth the time I might have saved by jacking up the front and removing the wheel. I ended up doing it anyway. The pictures show the wheel on, I removed it, trust me.

Step 1: Remove the front wheel of the side you are working on and then remove the fender liner. I marked some of the screws and push pins necessary to do this, but there are more not shown. I think there are 6 screws/bolts total and around 10 push pins. Then just bend your liner back and out of your way. NOTE: Some of the push pins have screw type heads, but they are plastic push pins. Try removing them with a screwdriver first. If that doesn't work pull them with a puller, or flat head screwdriver if you don't have a puller.

P1010001%7E13.JPG

Step 2: You should have a nice look at the back of your headlight now with all of the stock wiring in place.

P1010006%7E15.JPG

Cont... Remove the stock wiring. Just pull the H7 socket away from the bulb and it will release. Then turn the socket of each turn signal / parking light bulb and they will come out. This hanging harness is what you will be left with.

P1010007%7E12.JPG

Step 3: Remove the stock bulb by pulling off the rubber boot on the back of the low beam. It just pulls off but can take some force.

P1010008%7E13.JPG

Cont... Now undue the spring retaining clip that is holding the factory H7 headlight bulb. If you did not order bulb adapters like these https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned), you will grow to hate this clip, just as I did. I highly recommend ordering these and getting a d2s HID kit. Or even better is to order a kit from the sponsor that comes with the adapters for H7. Now you can insert your sexy HID bulb into the housing. If you are using the adapters you should have a D2S bulb to put in. If you aren't (like me) you should install H7 HID bulbs. Again, the adapters and D2S bulbs are the way to go. Since I didn't go that route I inserted my HID bulb and tried to reseat the clip. Even after inserting the clip there was some play in the bulb. Now since I am not one to have my HID's bouncing up and down every time I hit a bump, this would not work for me. I used RTV clear silicon to seat the bulb into the housing in conjunction with the spring clip. When I replace the bulbs in the future I will use D2S and the adapters. If you go this route, be sure you are parked facing a wall so you can check the aim of your bulb in the headlight to make sure it is centered and hits the projector correctly. I had to redo the passenger side once because I didn't verify bulb to housing alignment. The silicon is easily removable if need be but will hold the bulb in very well and as a bonus provide a water tight seal.

P1010009%7E9.JPG

Step 4: Mount your driver's side ballast. Here you can see where I mounted mine. It is well protected from weather and anything else from the top and bottom.

P1010013%7E3.JPG

Cont... Here is the top view showing the mounting bolt I used. Removing the air filter housing helps to give more access to the holes for you to insert your mounting bolt. Having an extra set of hands helps as well, so one person can tackle the bolt from the top and one person can work on the nut on the back of the bolt. As a side note, I sealed my ballasts with a RTV clear silicon/gasket maker (same stuff used to hold bulbs securely) to prevent any water from getting into them. They are supposed to be water proof but I recently had one leak on another vehicle so I am doing this to all future installs to prevent that.

P1010016%7E3.JPG

Here is the difference between the halogens and the HID's. The HID's are obviously mo' sexier.

P1010017%7E3.JPG

Step 5: This is the passenger side shown, but the last step to the driver's side is to connect all the wiring. The H7 bulb kit comes with the correct spades and everything on it to just plug and play. Simply plug the spades into the factory H7 plug, connect the AMP connectors from the ballasts to the bulbs, and connect the power to the ballast. Run all the wires with the factory wire harness and zip tie to keep everything looking nice and clean and stock. You could even use wire loom for a better looking install. Note: If you went with the D2S conversion kit, it will not come with the spades on the ballast power cable to connect to the factory H7 bulb connector. You will have to splice on male spades, available at any auto store for about $1.

P1010020%7E2.JPG

The steps for the passenger side are the same as the driver's side, so just repeat 1 through 5 for that side. But this pic shows the windshield washer reservoir bolt that I used to attach the ballast bracket to for my pass side install. After done again zip tie wires and/or wire loom to make everything look factory. The locations I chose for the ballasts are very effective and from under the hood look almost factory. I was primarily concerned with longevity and protecting the wiring and ballasts, so was happy that it looks good as well. Note: This is a guide, there are many different places to mount your ballast. This is just how I did it. If anyone has any questions feel free to post them here or PM me.

P1010021%7E2.JPG

The results... looks waaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyy better, and I am able to see 100% better at night.

P1010023%7E3.JPG

P1010026%7E0.JPG

Last edited:
Thanks!!!!

Perfect! Just ordered a HID kit and was hoping sombody would post something like this. Really good pictures!

Maybe this is a stupid question, but how come you didn't take the bumper off? According to this Mazda Genuine fog lamp install (Removing Front Bumper on Page 4 on the PDF) it just pulls right off after 10-15 small bolts/fasteners are removed... I have not tried it myself, nor have I ever removed a bumper, but it seems like it would give you more room to work w/ the HID install.

What do you think?

Again, Thanks for the write up. I was thinking about doing one myself, but thanks to you I don't have too!

Glad I could help guys... I have used other DIY's in the past for other such installs and have gotten pretty good at them. So now I like to share the wealth with others.

As for removing the front bumper. With the wheels and fender liners removed, there's plenty of room to work. Plus you don't have to worry about scratching any paint on a removed body piece. I've removed alot of bumpers before and it never really takes a long time, but if I can avoid taking things off the car, I will. Call it lazy... lol ;)

PS... talking to a japanparts about getting everything associated with the japanese fog lights and turn signal. Will be installing HID's in those too. Will keep everyone updated. I'm expecting it to be at least a couple of months though.

Hi,

May I ask why your H7 HID bulbs bounced?

Does the CX-7 have a plastic adapter between the stock halogen bulb and the stock connector?

Because normally, you shouldn't have to use silicone....I know our customers don't....:)

Yes, the stock CX-7's H7 bulbs do use a spacer. I would have had to modify this spacer in order to get it to work with the HID bulbs and the wife didn't want me to do that.

If you guys offer a spacer for the H7 bulbs that would simplify my/our lives greatly for this install. If so how much do they run?

That's why all our H7 HID bulbs in our kit come with spacers. Mazda owners use them and other just don't but that fixes the problem you are having.

Email me at support@xenonexpert.com and I'll set you up. I have some spares ;)

Next time though, you should buy your kit from us (gossip)

Yep I bought mine from Xenon Experts, and no bulb bounce. But I must say.. the double sided tape option for the Apexcon is the weakest link in the whole mounting process.

I tried doing the install without taking the front bumper off, but it was kinda tight for my hands. (and I am small and skinny... 5'9 147lb) So I ended up taking the bumper off, to do a air temp sensor install, and than re-install the entire HID kit. Which ended up with my first attempt, the bulbs was sitting in the socket the wrong way. After correcting the placement of the bulbs, the beam pattern was correct.

Because Xenon Expert doesn't come with a mounting bracket, I ended up using industrial strength glue on both side of the tape that was included. Been driving it like this for a month now, and it hasn't fallen off; I check this every once a week.... Can't wait till the wet seasons. I mounted the ballast under the headlight housing (if you go up to the pictures, you see a flat spot, that's where mine is mounted; I mean taped).

IMO, for $85 you get a solid mounting option is better than $150 with double side tape. BuT, hey! you do get a $5 spacer! (notcool)

Last edited:
Yep I bought mine from Xenon Experts, and no bulb bounce. But I must say.. the double sided tape option for the Apexcon is the weakest link in the whole mounting process.

I tried doing the install without taking the front bumper off, but it was kinda tight for my hands. (and I am small and skinny... 5'9 147lb) So I ended up taking the bumper off, to do a air temp sensor install, and than re-install the entire HID kit. Which ended up with my first attempt, the bulb was sitting in the socket the wrong way. After correcting the placement of the bulb, the beem pattern was correct.

Because Xenon Expert doesn't come with a mounting bracket, I ended up using industrial strength glue on both side of the tape that was included. Been driving it like this for a month now, and it hasn't fallen off. I mounted the ballast under the headlight housing (if you go up to the pictures, you see a flat spot, that's where mine is mounted; I mean taped).

IMO, for $85 you get a solid mounting option is better than $150 with double side tape. BuT, hey! you do get a $5 spacer! (notcool)

No need for sarcasm. All you had to do was ask. We have brackets and they are free. We don't include them because most people don't like putting screws into their vehicles and when surfaces are cleaned up properly of grease etc..double sided tape do a wonderful job. I know mine has stand up nicely after 4 years in the nice Canadian climate.

If you want to pay shipping I'll send you some brackets.

Plus without the "5$ spacers" as you say your bulbs would bounce all around...pretty essential I believe.

Cool, I think when I decide to switch the High beams to the HID, you can send me the brackets for the other ones. Since at this point it doesn't sound free(shipping part. Bracket would have been in the kit the first time), and the brackets never was offered to me, hence never even bothered to ask.

I'll email you once I am ready to go HID on the hi-beam. Right now I am trying to prep the car for other mods.

^With the silicon they don't bounce around anymore. They bounced before I silicon'd it. But I do admit I would much rather use the spacer and much appreciate your offer Xenon Expert, you will be getting a PM from me about purchasing those. I recommend to everyone doing the install to try and get a kit with these spacers, or to make them. Spacers are the way to go.

Cool, I think when I decide to switch the High beams to the HID, you can send me the brackets for the other ones. Since at this point it doesn't sound free(shipping part. Bracket would have been in the kit the first time), and the brackets never was offered to me, hence never even bothered to ask.

I'll email you once I am ready to go HID on the hi-beam. Right now I am trying to prep the car for other mods.

No problem :)

Just in case any of you guys were wondering, this install guide is spot on. And that spring clip sucks!!! The drivers side light was a pain because I didn't know what I was doing, but the passengers light either a) was easy because I'm awesome or b) easy because I got lucky

I just installed mine tonight, took about 1h 45m total, the 2nd light was alot easier than the 1st since I knew what I was doing at that point. I had the apexcone kit, which is pretty nice, the wiring is a little confusing at first, but once you start it all makes sense.

They makes a HUGE difference in terms of clarity of light. I have never had a car with HID before, I was amazed. Although i will admit the 6000k was a little more blue than I was expecting.

Back