Advice on Tire chains for very infrequent winter travel

Kegelhoff

:
Mazda CX5 Touring
2016 CX5 GT

I will be traveling up to an elevation for a few days with the chance of snow. Any recommendations for inexpensive chains that I might be able to purchase on Amazon.com just in case I need them??

Thanks

2016 CX5 GT

I will be traveling up to an elevation for a few days with the chance of snow. Any recommendations for inexpensive chains that I might be able to purchase on Amazon.com just in case I need them??

Thanks

Get low profile cables, not chains. The Z type are very easy to install and offer a fairly smooth ride.

You have the GT model, so you have low profile tires with 19" wheels.
The chains might scrape up your wheels, but with a rubber tensioner they'll probably be OK.

Unless you plan on returning them unused after your trip, you would probably be best off going to a local store instead of buying online. (pep boys, autozone ect.)
They have good prices on chains and they can help you test fit the chains in the parking lot.

Also, keep in mind that your all-season tires are "snow tires" as far as the CHP is concerned.
Most of the time you will not need to put chains on, but you are always required to have them with you in the mountains!

First question, do you have AWD? Double check in the manual if you do have AWD to make sure what Mazda recommends for traction devices. I suspect it's only the front wheels. Also if you have AWD, how much snow and what type of roads are we talking about? Back country fire roads are much different then state highways. You may not need "chains" at all. Some states are a bit vague on what a "traction device" actually is. AWD may be all the "traction device" you need. If you do get chains I would look into some of those cloth tire wraps as they are much easier on the rims then actual chains. There's quite a few different options out there for traction devices.

First question, do you have AWD? Double check in the manual if you do have AWD to make sure what Mazda recommends for traction devices. I suspect it's only the front wheels. Also if you have AWD, how much snow and what type of roads are we talking about? Back country fire roads are much different then state highways. You may not need "chains" at all. Some states are a bit vague on what a "traction device" actually is. AWD may be all the "traction device" you need. If you do get chains I would look into some of those cloth tire wraps as they are much easier on the rims then actual chains. There's quite a few different options out there for traction devices.

I picked these up for my '15 GT last year.

http://www.tirechainsupply.com/product108.html

I have not had to use them yet but there have been a few instances over the years of chains required on AWD in the passes during ice storms here in WA state.

Back country fire roads are much different then state highways. You may not need "chains" at all.

Funny thing is, in CA, state highways are the first place where you "need" chains to get past the highway patrol.
Even with AWD you always have to carry chains, or you risk getting turned around and forced to backtrack to the nearest gas station to buy their overpriced chains.

WA state is the same way.

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/WAC/default.aspx?cite=204-24-050

(a) Exception for all wheel drive vehicles. When "chains required" signs are posted, all-wheel drive vehicles will be exempt from the chain requirement when all wheels are in gear and are equipped with approved traction devices as specified in WAC 204-24-040 provided that tire chains for at least one set of drive tires are carried in the vehicle.

My bad on saying "chains" when I really was thinking of the cables. I just have FWD but will need the low profile cables for sure. Of course I'm heading up there this coming weekend and the forecast says 70% chance of rain/snow so it looks like I'm heading to the local autoparts store this week.

Also, keep in mind that your all-season tires are "snow tires" as far as the CHP is concerned.
Most of the time you will not need to put chains on, but you are always required to have them with you in the mountains!

CA has three levels of controls:
1) Chains, snows or awd
2) chains, or awd
3) Chains
With 1, you can have snows or all seasons, they don't care.

However, the first one is rare, it is usually #2. They'll pass on a sube with half worn all seasons, but if you have a fwd with brand new totl dedicated snows, they'll make you chain up.
I think it is nutz, but that is CA.
#3 is like so rare, I've never seen it . Must be during blizzards or something.
With cables, I recomend practicing putting them on and off on your driveway. If you can't do that, it wont be any easier when you are on the side of a dark freezing road. Also, bring a real floor jack, must easier than using the spare tire crap. Jack it up, put them on, it helps removing too. Imho, easier than driving over them and doing it without raising the car.

HOWEVER,

Back