Advice Needed: Trunk Light Stolen

nXt

:
2014 CX-5 Touring FWD Tech Pkg
Hi Guys, I need some advice.
Tuesday Morning (6/11/2013) I was parked at my GF's apartment complex but on the street since the complex was full.
I went to get my car to pack it on our trip up the California Coast.
Well guess what I found, one of the light assembly on the trunk/hatch/liftgate was stolen. (Pictures later, I'm still on my trip)

They used a screw driver or something to pry it out, there's some dent marks in the paint on the bottom of the light area not very large. They left the bulbs hanging, but they broke the main clip the light uses to stay on the liftgate, it was broken inside and i was able to remove it. (ironic since now they can't install this in another CX-5)

They also took ONE of the license plate light covers and bulb. They idiots pryed that out too and scratched a little bit of the body where it is.

I was pissed obviously and needed to get going for our trip anyways. I took pictures and packed and left.
I have AAA insurance, this happened in Southern California Inland Empire area.

Should I have called the police for a report?
Should I bother calling my insurance? It's been 3 days, and I won't be back home for another 3 days.
My deductible is $500, I'm guessing the trunk light area wouldn't be more than $200, and the license plate light cover a couple bucks. But again, part of the body is a bit dented and scratched.

Would insurance cover this? Should I call them NOW to let them know?

Any advice would be helpful, thanks. kinda sucks that this is a 2 month old 2014 I just bought...

Definitely get a police report because if this is a problem area then, the police may increase patrols. In addition; the insurance company will probably insist on a police report. Talk with your agent after you get estment's and then decide on out-of-pocket or suffer the deductible. Ed

Here are pictures:
Screenshot_2013-06-14-16-37-24.png
Screenshot_2013-06-14-16-37-31.png
Screenshot_2013-06-14-16-37-36.png

Last edited:
Definitely get a police report because if this is a problem area then, the police may increase patrols. In addition; the insurance company will probably insist on a police report. Talk with your agent after you get estment's and then decide on out-of-pocket or suffer the deductible. Ed

I can still get a police report 6 days after the fact?

agreed with all of that

I wonder if mechanics in the area are starving for some business. What a stupid thing to do, hope the assholes that did that are real happy. Such a petty thing to take, losers. Good luck man.

Wow all that damage for a few bucks worth of light bulbs?

Yeah no kidding, I just looked up the parts for the trunk light housing and it's only $83 plus some of the gaskets and clips, less than $100.
The actual brake lights, those ones cost $200

A police report is not absolutely necessary, the insurance company will process a claim without it (I know from experience). The adjuster might ask you more questions, that's all.

I wouldn't bother with either to be honest. Sure you could get a police report but they will likely do nothing as far as trying to locate the parts. The paint damage looks small enough that a few dabs of some touch up paint will do a decent job of covering it up. The cost of the replacement lights won't even cover your deductible, or if they do, won't be much higher, so I wouldn't bother with that either. I just wouldn't want a full trunk respray and an insurance claim over those few things.

I have been able to get a police report over the phone for these types of small issues - just an automated answering service which prompted a few questions, all answerable by dialing in on the keypad. They provide a report/case number on the spot, which I then handed over to my insurance provider.
I did it with two separate municipalities. Might be an easy option for you. But, I agree, they should process your claim without it.

Man, people are nuts. What asshattery. Sorry you have to go through that crap getting it repaired.

Thanks guys, I was able to fill out a report online. Just gotta wait for them to approve it and give me a case#.
But yeah, I'll probably just suck it up and use the touch up paint and buy the parts online... :(

People really suck sometimes. Someone hit me in a parking lot and didn't leave a note. Unfortunately it took me about 2 days to even notice the damage and by then my state said they wouldn't take a police report once you leave the scene of the accident. There were 2 possible places the damage happened so I got the name of the officer who said they wouldn't do a police report and that was good enough for my insurance company.

Unfortunately the dealership is having a difficult time getting the necessary parts to fix it. The car is so new not everything is available yet.

Bummer of an incident, sorry to hear about this nXt.

Since most of us carry deductibles of $500-$1000, it's less of an issue for the insurance companies.

I used www.jimellismazdaparts.com to look up the parts, the website is pretty cool, shows all the diagrams and such.
I ordered the parts from onlinemazdaparts.com, they sell them for way under msrp.
Total is $92, includes shipping and no tax.

I took out the left liftgate lights to double check, it's really easy to take the light off.
Should ship in a few days. Hopefully after some touch up paint and the light back in, I'd forget about it and the dents not visible.

Back