Advice for 6 speaker system

Anathema

:
CX-5
My audio experience has been limited to strictly replacing speakers in doors not really doing the full wiring/install business so my questions might come off as brain dead.

So my goal here is to improve the sound while keeping the stock head unit. I don't really want to go through the weirdness of not being able to configure the light options and whatnot. Anyways I am not really sure how I should proceed. Should I simply replace all the speakers or should I replace all the speakers and add an amp?

If I do go the amp route I imagine I need to run the head units output lines to the inputs to the amp and then wire the amp to the speakers. I imagine that will require running new wires for all the speakers? From what I have been reading really it sounds like the amp is the thing to go for since the stock head unit is limited to a measly 10w per speaker. Just not sure how hard it will be to wire in an amp.

Too many options for audio and I am so confused... (confused)

For me, I wanted simple, but great sounds. I left the factory speakers/amp (granted it is Bose) but added a powered sub. I feel the only thing missing from the CX-5's audio is a subwoofer to complement the mids and highs. My sub and amp install <a href="http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123840777-Finally!-my-Aftermarket-Subwoofer-and-Amplifier-Integration-into-Bose-Audio-How-To"> here</a>. Of course, it may differ slightly if you don't a factory amp to tap into. But you can use a LOC (line out converter) tapped into a rear speaker line instead.

Last edited:
I have replaced my speakers with Infinity components front and back and also the dash ones with 3.5" Polks and it's day and night the difference.
I will install amps and a Kenwood nav, but even at this point it sounds amazing.

I also didnt want to touch the head unit. I changed out the speakers and noticed a huge improvement, mainly from the two dash speakers, i used JBL 3.5 inch speakers. To be honest i wouldnt bother changing the door speakers.

Yea if you looked at the speakers you would replace them all, i also added some sound deadening to the doors, it was cheap stick on foam,seems pretty effective, but about 80% of the sound comes from the front 2 speakers.

I installed an Audio Controls factory system integration/OEM interface. From there I installed a Poineer stage 4 amp to power the Polk audio components in the front and coaxial's in the rear. I have an old Alpine 3548 amp and used that to power an 8" JL Audio mico-sub. This combination is killer and makes the factory Bose system in my brothers 2013 Mazda 6 sound muddy and lacking. The Audio Controls DQ-61 made all the difference though. Forget speaker level inputs or any of those other interfaces. The only down side to this system is it was a lot of work to install and tune but now everything looks factory but sounds amazing. it all totals to a continuous 460 watts RMS and over 920 peak.

I installed a nav Kenwood unit aftermarket. It came with the audio profilling where I can set the distance of each speaker and the type of car. After getting all my cross overs setup it sounds absolutely amazing. I'm pretty sure the factory deck has a preset equalizer in place which just makes it sound like crap.

I also had a slim pioneer sub installed.(the ones with the legs,the size of a suitcase) and it gives more then enough punch..

Hid the amp in the spare tire center, on a special customer made board that fits perfectly in the tire rim..

So overall after market deck, good cross over control and a sub made a world of a difference

Back