Adventures in DIY CX-9 Wheel Touch-up

:
2018 Madza CX-9 GT
Here's a short look at my second (and maybe last) attempt to touch-up my wheel paint.

As you will see, the Silver Paint (Dupli-Color High Performance WHEEL Coating, (cost about $7 at my local Auto Parts Store)), can do a reasonable job.

Lessons I've learned:

1. Masking a tire is difficult - seems most masking tape does not like to stick to rubber. (YES - the tire was cleaned and dry). Maybe DUCT tape works better.

2. The Silver Spray paint seems very close to (but NOT EXACTLY) the same color as the existing wheel color. (But maybe "Close enough")
(Note: I bought my CX-9 used, for all I know, the Dealer may have already slightly painted the wheels?)

3. The Paint takes 7 days to fully cure - perhaps the color will slightly darken.

4. The same company makes a Clear Coat paint - perhaps if I use it - it will slightly make the color match more.

5. It is VERY DIFFICULT to take before and after photos EXACTLY THE SAME. A few hours have passed, the sun light is different, holding the camera at the exact same angle and distance from the wheel is almost impossible (I know - TRIPOD) -

6. In my final photo - (of the whole vehicle from the side) - I now notice the front wheel is not perfectly straight (and therefore reflects different from the rear tire).

7. If there is a tiny difference in Silver Color - so be it - I'm not a perfectionist, no one will ever notice it, and it only cost $7 - and I'll always still have the option to have them "professionally" painted, if i ever wish to (likely not).

Hockeye,

great video, the wheels look great, can't even tell they were stained, good job !

the music you selected cracked me up, it was synchronized to the photos LOL,

reminded me of that old comedy classic series ..... Benny Hill

Back