Advance Auto Parts for Brakes

Ms3InMd

Hi, I went into advance autoparts to look at their brake pads and the guy behind the counter told me either Akebono Brake Pads: ProACTTM Ceramic or Satisfied Brake Pads: Pro Ceramic would actually work the same as stock but have less dust. So I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with them before that wouldnt mind giving me some input. My car is my dd that I sometimes do 1/4 or spirited back road driving if that matters when it comes to brakes. Thanks for the input.

ProACTTM Ceramic
http://www.partsamerica.com/Product...KB&MfrPartNumber=ACT1044&PartType=219&PTSet=A

Satisfied Brake Pads: Pro Ceramic
http://www.partsamerica.com/product...AT&MfrPartNumber=PR1044C&PartType=219&PTSet=A

Hi, I went into advance autoparts to look at their brake pads and the guy behind the counter told me either Akebono Brake Pads: ProACTTM Ceramic or Satisfied Brake Pads: Pro Ceramic would actually work the same as stock but have less dust. So I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with them before that wouldnt mind giving me some input. My car is my dd that I sometimes do 1/4 or spirited back road driving if that matters when it comes to brakes. Thanks for the input.

ProACTTM Ceramic
http://www.partsamerica.com/Product...KB&MfrPartNumber=ACT1044&PartType=219&PTSet=A

Satisfied Brake Pads: Pro Ceramic
http://www.partsamerica.com/product...AT&MfrPartNumber=PR1044C&PartType=219&PTSet=A

Question is do you really want a ceramic pad? There are two down sides to ceramic pads.

1. When they get wet, they dont stop. So if you hit a deep puddle and then have to panic stop, most likely you'll crash.
2. Ceramic pads are noisey. If you dont turn your rotors or get new ones, they will squeal.

What I would suggest if you're getting ceramics, are the EBC pads. EBC's compund for ceramic are much better then the other 2 above, and they're about $40 cheaper.

Rob...

I havent had any of those problems. I put ceramics on my last car and they were great. Never a problem and I loved how I didnt have to clean the wheels every 3 days. It was a lifted SUV too, so it got plenty wet. And no noise, at least none noticeable. Although, you really couldnt hear much over the hum of my 33" MTs.

I bought my Satisfied Pro Ceramic pads from Advance last year. I hate brake dust and these pads are great to that end as its not a problem. Stopping power is not an issue either in wet or dry situations. No noise issue either with them. I'd buy them again and wouldn't have any second thoughts about it.

I was a manager at an Advance Auto Parts so I've tried just about evey pad that fit my last car, my Integra. At least for me, the ceramics didn't stop as well as the bendix semi-metallics. They did, however, produce a bit more noise, and on extremely spirit back roads driving, glazed on me (SCARY!!)(eek2) And I just plain didn't like the feel. I went back to the Bendix metallics and it felt like I upgraded my entire braking system.

If I was in your shoes, even with my loyalties, I would go find another parts store who sells a metallic. My opinion, but just my $0.02

What are the stock brake pads? On my CX7 there is little to no brake dust, which leads me to believe maybe they are semi-metallic pads at least?

Question is do you really want a ceramic pad? There are two down sides to ceramic pads.

1. When they get wet, they dont stop. So if you hit a deep puddle and then have to panic stop, most likely you'll crash.
2. Ceramic pads are noisey. If you dont turn your rotors or get new ones, they will squeal.

What I would suggest if you're getting ceramics, are the EBC pads. EBC's compund for ceramic are much better then the other 2 above, and they're about $40 cheaper.

Rob...

u sure about that if they didn't stop when wet they would still sell them and put them on porcha??

I think my ceramics were like 20 or 30 dollar MORE than the metallics, no idea why. Think my best semi-s were about 60, and the ceramics were almost 90. But if they give you a choice for metallics NEVER get the silver pads, only bendix maybe gold if youre really tight on budget. The silver will be gone in a year and they tear up your rotors.

Bendix pads also get one free replacement due to wear and tear. Keep your box and reciept, mail in the little form, swap them out for a new set for free! Me and buddies at work found out the computer actually let us do this 4 times. $100-ish for 4 sets of bendix brakes (front and rear). Those were the days!

Ceramics are more for a few reasons. You always pay more for the latest innovations (even though they are not that new) and the raw materials are more expensive. And yes, they couldnt sell them if they wouldnt grip in wet conditions.
All in all, it comes down to preference. I never had a problem, other have had no problems, and still others hate them. Same thing as everything else. I know as soon as my wifes brakes are gone on her mariner, I am putting ceramics on there. Mostly because her wheels are a B to clean.

Yea, I went the cheap route when doing my front brakes. I used the Silvers and I absolutely hate all of the dust left on the wheels. I'm defenitely going for ceramics next time and on all 4.

Back