Adding short ram intake for increased mpg's

guido2358

:
2015 Mazda CX-5 Sport, 6spd manual
I am interested in adding a short ram intake to my 2015 CX-5 sport 6spd manual. Corksport claims gas mileage increases with their intake...bias I assume. Has anyone installed an SRI such as the corksport model and noticed better mpg's(after break in period of enjoying the sound)? I drive mostly highway miles. I get paid mileage from my company and the more mpg's my car gives me, the more money I make driving it. Thanks

My WS.6 had a legit ram-air. It would actually pressurize the manifold based on some tests done, when at speed. Noone ever reported better mileage than in the regular Trans Am, though.

Ask yourself this. If a short ram air intake increased mileage why would Mazda leave it out? Hint, it's not the cost...

OP, The short ram intake may not increase MPGs, may even decrease it. The CX-5's air intake opening is outside of the hot engine bay. A short Ram intake takes in more hot air. A better alternative for long term high mileage money savings is a Dry reusable drop in filter. I recommend the one by AEM. You get cooler air than a short Ram but with less air restriction than stock filter.

http://www.aemintakes.com/search/product.aspx?prod=28-20480

A tidbit about Kelly Blue book awarding Mazda lowest cost of 5-year ownership award for 2 straight years. You can further decrease costs with a reusable filter that can be cleaned over and over again.
http://www.aemintakes.com/news/news.aspx?ID=4908

Last edited:
Ram air may give you a tad more power above 50mph, but certainly won't increase mpg. The worst thing about a ram air is that it clogs the air filter with bugs, dirt, sand, and leaves. If the placement isn't good, it will suck in water during a rain storm too. Not worth the trouble.

I am interested in adding a short ram intake to my 2015 CX-5 sport 6spd manual. Corksport claims gas mileage increases with their intake...bias I assume. Has anyone installed an SRI such as the corksport model and noticed better mpg's(after break in period of enjoying the sound)? I drive mostly highway miles. I get paid mileage from my company and the more mpg's my car gives me, the more money I make driving it. Thanks

Have CORKSPORT support their claims!!!

Thanks everyone. I assumed it wouldn't add mpg but I just wanted to ask. In regards to why Mazda left it out if it did increase mpg, the reasoning would be simply sound. If the engine is as loud as my last two vehicles that had short ram intakes, many buyers would be turned off of the vehicle.

Ram air may give you a tad more power above 50mph, but certainly won't increase mpg. The worst thing about a ram air is that it clogs the air filter with bugs, dirt, sand, and leaves. If the placement isn't good, it will suck in water during a rain storm too. Not worth the trouble.

I disagree. My WS.6 didn't suck in enough bugs to matter, and ANYWHERE you place an air intake that is below a water line is going to be an issue. I believe they calculated less than 10rwhp at any sensible speed up to the car's 162mph limiter. The WS.6's and SS's never turned any better track times than any other F-body.

Latest posts

Back