Added Homelink

golftango

:
2009 Mazda5 GT
Grabbed a universal Homelink rolling code unit from eBay (normally goes in visor) and did a custom install.

Cut hole in roof, then hard wired it to the hot wire for the overhead lamps. Ground to body with existing hole in frame.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    665.6 KB · Views: 243
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    565.1 KB · Views: 248
(wow)Wow! I'm about to do this on mine too. Is it as simple as hot wiring the unit to the overhead dome light and ground the other wire for the unit to function? Or are there other wiring mods needed for the unit to function?

Also..how stable is it mounted like that on the roof? Any rattling or noise issues? When your pushing the buttons, does it feel flimsy or fairly solid? Thanks for the info cause I'd really like to do this but want to be sure first before cutting a hole on my roof...

The unit has two wires, power and ground. Just use a test lamp for a constant hot wire, in this case it was the red wire going to the map lamps. Then I ground it to the body using the existing screw hole in the center of the roof frame.

The roof material is a bit thicker than what it is intended, a visor. So I had to cut away as much insulation around the hole as possible. The unit itself is very thin so it doesn't hit the roof. Plus there is a foam square on the other side. It's not flimsy at all, besides, how much pressure is needed to press the small buttons. There is room if you wanted to stuff a Styrofoam block wrapped in felt between the unit and roof for extra rigidity. But it is not necessary.

I'm sure you find other places to mount it if you're not comfortable cutting into the roof. One option is just getting a homelink rear view mirror.

Last edited:
Great, thanks! Ya I looked into OEM rear view mirror homelink/compass unit but it's quite pricey and there's a lot more involved with installation. I'll definitely go this route. Btw, how big of a hole did you need to cut out?

Great, thanks! Ya I looked into OEM rear view mirror homelink/compass unit but it's quite pricey and there's a lot more involved with installation. I'll definitely go this route. Btw, how big of a hole did you need to cut out?

Just enough for the buttons to clear and the LED lamp. If I had to guess, 1"X2.5" or so.

The oval piece pops off and is held in place by two pegs on either side. So you put the unit in the headliner and push the oval face with the buttons onto the unit through the hole. Again, I'm sure there are easier/better ways to do this. I just did it where there was enough room and I had easy access too (having a sunroof helped big time).

Just enough for the buttons to clear and the LED lamp. If I had to guess, 1"X2.5" or so.

The oval piece pops off and is held in place by two pegs on either side. So you put the unit in the headliner and push the oval face with the buttons onto the unit through the hole. Again, I'm sure there are easier/better ways to do this. I just did it where there was enough room and I had easy access too (having a sunroof helped big time).

Alright. So it seems like it's a rectangular cut out that you had to make. Curious to know what tool you used to make the cut out?

Back