Active Driving Display question (2021 CX-9)

Yeah, the dealer never really described all the displays. They should offer free courses on what these bad babies can do. I haven't even gone over how the Cruise system works yet or the SENSE systems.
RTM

If you don't have a paper copy, it is also available on the internet.

Interesting. The dealer I go to goes over every feature (if you want it) when they deliver your vehicle. Not that the client will remember anything from it.
I believe the only thing they showed us was how the seats slide to get in the back and how the NAV system and Infotainment worked. The rest was "Yes" or "No" or "I don't know" to our questions. We wanted a CX-5 and the next day it was sold out from under us, even though the salesperson told us they would save it for us (no money down). So we were victims of the old "Bait and Switch" routine.

RTM

The manual is bigger than a novel. It's not very intuitive either. So RTM-ing is not always the evident solution. Fortunately, I have all these pleasant people here to answer my Qs. Thanks.

The manual is bigger than a novel. It's not very intuitive either. So RTM-ing is not always the evident solution. Fortunately, I have all these pleasant people here to answer my Qs. Thanks.
If looking up in a manual is too much effort for you, then it is too much effort for me to help you further with these obvious questions.

If looking up in a manual is too much effort for you, then it is too much effort for me to help you further with these obvious questions.
WOW! Did I say I don't read the manual? On the contrary. I said it is "not always the evident solution." And if you had the gumption to even check any of my former requests for help, you would see that I prefaced the majority of them with saying that I could NOT find the answer in the manual. I even provide my requests for help with pictures from the VERY thing you accuse me of not checking. Jeesh.

Side note…

RTM

“RTM” is not going to get you far in this community, in fact it’s going to get you banned if you keep it up…Consider this a final warning.

Now let’s get back on topic, thank you.

RTM ? WTF does that mean ? Must be gettin old

It's shorthand for "Read The F---in Manual" which is why Antoine warned the poster above. Even if the poster wasn't aware that RonK has been reading the manual, sometimes the answer isn't always in there, or it's buried and might be hard to find. Even then, there are better, more polite ways to say the same thing.

It's shorthand for "Read The F---in Manual" which is why Antoine warned the poster above. Even if the poster wasn't aware that RonK has been reading the manual, sometimes the answer isn't always in there, or it's buried and might be hard to find. Even then, there are better, more polite ways to say the same thing.
OOPS !

From Wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RTM

RTM is an initialism and internet slang for the expression "read the f*cking manual" – typically used to reply to a basic question where the answer is easily found in the documentation, user guide, owner's manual, man page, online help, internet forum, software documentation or FAQ.

Usage is variously viewed as a pointed reminder of etiquette to try to find a solution before posting to a mass forum or email alias; helping a newer user (colloquially and demeaningly referred to as a noob within internet culture) to improve themselves; as a useless response; or as a hostile and elitist response. Polite usages would mention where one has looked when asking a question, and to provide an exact location or link where exactly to RTM.

In expurgated texts, substitutions such as "read the frickn' manual", "read the factory manual", "read the field manual", "read the flaming manual", "read the fine manual", "read the friendly manual", "read the [pause] manual" or similar variants are used.

If there is no appropriate content in the manual but the answer is frequently seen in the forum, a similar response in internet culture might be to Lurk moar, meaning to observe the forum for a time before asking questions.

A related concept is, "let me google that for you". In this case, the "manual" is the World Wide Web, so one of several search engines such as Google could be used to look up the answer. In many cases, doing so provides an answer in less time than it takes to ask someone else the question. The range of usage is similar to that for RTM.

Usage is variously viewed as a pointed reminder of etiquette to try to find a solution before posting to a mass forum or email alias; helping a newer user (colloquially and demeaningly referred to as a noob within internet culture) to improve themselves; as a useless response; or as a hostile and elitist response. Polite usages would mention where one has looked when asking a question, and to provide an exact location or link where exactly to RTM.

Thank you for explaining exactly why this kind of phrasing and the attitude that may accompany it is discouraged on this forum.

I suppose -- that we all need help and I personally now dislike looking in the manual since its counterintuitive in the organization of its content -- I was simply trying to find the oil type, oil filter type , and torque spec's to do what Ive done most all my life --oil change -- and they dont make it easy - as the data is scattered - I still cant find many basic things -- like spark plug info-- and its even says to go to the dealer for an oil change ..and then a fear based tagline about warranty - So we should try to help our fellow owners no matter how simplistic the question may be--many here are far more advanced in auto maintenance than others .... and those are the ones who have the greatest responsibility to help others -- IMO ( in my opinion)

I had good intentions.
I answered a question from the OP in the thread "2021 CX-9 Screen Icons?" on this same forum.
I answered two of the OP's questions in this thread with serious and valid answers.
Answers that he could easily find in the manual or with a Google search. I helped him nonetheless.

When the OP wrote that he prefers other people to answer his questions ("The manual is bigger than a novel") instead of investigating the easy to find answers, I felt a little bit abused.

When I posted RTM, I implied the part of the Wikipedia explanation:
"Usage is variously viewed as a pointed reminder of etiquette to try to find a solution before posting to a mass forum or email alias"

I did not mean the negative "helping a newer user (colloquially and demeaningly referred to as a noob within internet culture) to improve themselves; as a useless response; or as a hostile and elitist response."

On other forums, RTM is not taken as an insult, but as a critical comment.

Last edited:
the oil type, oil filter type , and torque spec's
--5W-30, any type, latest spec, currently API Service Category SP, ILSAC GF-6/A. 7,500 mile oil drain interval. Many of us choose to use full synthetic motor oil, but that's not required.
--I've never seen a filter type or spec listed. At your favorite supplier get the filter listed in their catalog for these cars. I prefer a high quality filter, not a cheapo.
--The torque spec for the oil drain plug isn't listed that I can find. Do buy some new drain plug gaskets for each change, aluminum, fiber, or nylon.
--Spark plugs at 40,000 miles, NGK DILKAR7M8, there is also Denso 3523 EC22HPR-D7 listed, about $18-20 each.

--5W-30, any type, latest spec, currently API Service Category SP, ILSAC GF-6/A. 7,500 mile oil drain interval. Many of us choose to use full synthetic motor oil, but that's not required.
--I've never seen a filter type or spec listed. At your favorite supplier get the filter listed in their catalog for these cars. I prefer a high quality filter, not a cheapo.
--The torque spec for the oil drain plug isn't listed that I can find. Do buy some new drain plug gaskets for each change, aluminum, fiber, or nylon.
--Spark plugs at 40,000 miles, NGK DILKAR7M8, there is also Denso 3523 EC22HPR-D7 listed, about $18-20 each.

Most excellent - Thanks I use Med Mazda parts in Alabama - They ship to me and save me tons of $$ and literally have everything in stock -always- all orders over $100 no shipping -- so I load up on blades , filters, oil plug gaskets etc - --So the point , I save the filter boxes with the part # and Use OE ( not Value line ) Mazda Filters -- But Yerwi52 posted a place to get the Japanese OE CX-5 filters - I historically go NGK plugs since its been OE with Mazda -- Im not to stuck on Mazdas OE air filters and could be swayed in to another brand as I dont see how . they could be that bad - say wix or Fram - Im definitly going to go full syn on the 5w-30 -- My dealer wants $16/qt for the OE Mazda non-syn -- my guess raking the Turbo CX-5 drivers --- which I may include in my order from Med Mazda -- as I dont like having oil shipped thru the mail -

Back