Acted like fuel problem

jerrypurvis

:
2007 CX-7
I use my car for work and travel several hundred miles each week. Last week I noticed it acted like dirty fuel or filter, so I poured in a can of Lucas injector cleaner. This didn't seem to help any. A couple days later, driving down the interstate it started loosing power, so bad, that I had to run in the emergency lane to the next exit. Since there was no repair shops close by, I took the back roads down to the next town where I could get a hotel for the night. I had it towed to the nearest Mazda dealer the next day which was 60 miles away.

They told me the turbo was bad. I'm not going to dispute their word, but I have seen turbo's go out on diesel's, and this was nothing like that. I thought I either had a plugged fuel filter or maybe a fuel pump going bad.

I rented a truck and towed it home. The power was so bad, I had to have a couple of guys help push it up on a tow dolly as it wouldn't even pull itself up the ramps. My questions are

1. If the turbo went out, why no smoke?
2. Could it be the EGR valve stuck open?
3. I removed the intercooler, started engine and it still runs rough. If it was a turbo, shouldn't it have idled fine since the turbo creates no
boost till under load?

Last edited:
first off what yr and how many miles?

if dealer said it was turbo, I would take their word for it and it would be covered under warranty if you have under 7yrs or 70k miles.

other might be bad injectors and fuel line, like mine at 89k miles.

doubt if it has to do with EGR valve but that part cost over $300 from dealer; no idea why you have no smoke and if it runs rough under load I would think its injectors.

Back