ABS Doesn't Work!!!!!

AutoBox said:
i have felt many abs systems and NEVER heard of it crunchin at all....my dad has a buick regal with abs and my moms accord has abs and i have used them both....u get the nice abs light and all and u feel the pulsin but never a cruchin feeling.....if i actually modulate my pedal liek i did on my old 240 i can get the car to stop good but anything reotely pusin the pedal all the way down and i get seious lock up and i just slide......honestly i cant see how this would be abs helpin cus u have to see it to belive it...my gf's bro has a gti and his doesnt do that at all...his light comes on and it stops...i just get this pulsin crunchin feelin and no lite...and lock up.....no one has encounteredd this???

Different companies ABS feel different. The VW's/Audi/Porsche ABS is JUST like Mazda's ABS. Its a "crunching" feeling and its pushing back on your foot. I have driven several other cars, Ford's, GM's, Toyota, Nissan, and a few others, they're all different.

AutoBox said:
yeh il take a look once this snow is done tomorrow...insane the car only has 3600 on the odo and the brake fluid is low already ?!?!?!

There are 2 things that cause brake fluid to go low- a leak, and using the brakes.

The leak is obvious why its going down. But many peope don't know that the brake fluid level is actually an indicator of how much pad material you have left. When it gets down to the "low" line, its time to replace your pads/rotors. Why? Because your pad is always the same small distance from the rotor. The fluid is displacing the lack of friction material.

I had no choice one day but to go into the snow on the stock tires. The ABS freaked a lot, of course, and the wheels locked. It's the stock tires, nothing else, for sure. I can tell you. The ABS system does its best but can't stop your car. I tried one day on a parking, from 20 km/h I didn't stop for like 50-100 meters. Not an electric system in the world could understand or be efficient while braking with the RE040 on snow. They are like skis.

Now on winter tires it's still a bit strange, but it's normal. Here up north ABS goes on at every stop sign. All you can do is compress more and brake less. You only need to trust them, and not follow your temptation to pulse them.

I got the ABS system all confused on my Speed while doing rally and a lot of hand-braking on ice. The ABS light came on. Then, they were REALLY not working, no pulsing, no noise, nothing. Just restarted the car and they came back on.

Hit a bit of snow at low speed on mine today. Slid and got the crunching noise/feeling too. Weirdness.

MrDiggler said:
Hit a bit of snow at low speed on mine today. Slid and got the crunching noise/feeling too. Weirdness.

yeh it really is...im gettin used to it though....just gotta ease off the brake until it stops

Back to the original post...(sorry if I'm pulling an old thread)

My car did the same thing today. No lights on my way to work but as soon as I pulled out of the parking lot I noticed both the ABS and Brake lights on. I checked the hand brake but it was down. I even pulled it up and put it back down. I stopped, turned the car off and checked all the brakes and they looked fine (but I don't know what I would be looking for anyway). The brakes work fine, no pulling or anything, no rubbing that I could tell. I didn't have time to check the fuse, I'll do that tomorrow morning.

Say it is the fuse, why would it just blow like that?

Anyone else had this problem? Anything else I should try that hasn't been mentioned?

PS to all the MSP owners: You seem to always find something to complain about...if the tires weren't performance rated you'd b**** about how they don't stick to the road...so instead you b**** about how the car isn't good in the snow because Mazda actually took initiative with aggressive tires. You can't have everything.

hey all OK my abs light is on with brake light. but it is only on sometimes like sometimes on sometimes off...anyway. my mechanic can't run the code because my car is foreign and his computer only checks the check engine lights on foreign cars (both check engine and abs on domestic cars) I am curious as to how i figure out what the abs and brake lights are trying to tell me. The Mazda dealer wants 80 bucks just to tell me what the problem is and then whatever it costs to fix it and if its a sensor they aint cheap. How do I run the tests and get/check the codes.... any help appreciated
thanks

Back