ABS & Brake Light ON... WTF!@#

Kerok

:
Mazda Protege 5 2003
Looking for some help!

My ABS and brake light have been on now for about a month.

Finally I ran the diagnostic for the brakes using the jumper wire and the codes were 13, and 47.

13 = DTC Definition: Circuit failure of RR ABS wheel-speed sensor. Diagnosis System Component: Right rear ABS wheel-speed sensor/ sensor rotor.

47 = DTC Definition: RR ABS Wheel-speed sensor input signal missing. Diagnosis System Component: Right rear ABS wheel-speed sensor/ sensor rotor.

I pulled of the RR wheel, caliper and rotor. Cleaned the ABS sensor and tried resetting the code afterwards by depressing the brakes 10 times which didn't work.

Noticed that after re-checking the codes while trying to reset... It was only showing code 13. It wasn't flashing 47 anymore, just repeating 13.

Anyways...

Any suggestions on what to try other than cleaning the ABS sensor?

My parking brake hasn't been holding well recently... Could that be the problem? ( Adjusted it today and didn't get much out of it. Seems a bit tighter after around 4-5 full turns of the adjustment nut... keep tightening.?)

Fluid seems to be topped up nicely... Any tricks there? I read the sensor is really close to the top of the reservoir and the fluid need to be right to the top? Mine's pretty close...

What other things could I check that could throw that sensor? Common that these sensors fail? Can brake pad wear cause these codes?

Appreciate any suggestions...

The sensor itself is bad, relatively common. And don't adjust the e-brake at the handle it will stretch the cable and then you wont have an e-brake at all.

there is also and adjustment nutn in the caliper. look in the repair manual, that should resolve your hand brake issues

as for the ABS, you might have to replace the module

You can test the sensor.

abssensor_zpsbe5f1027.jpg

So... I broke the bolt trying to get the sensor out. Barely put any force into it, snapped quick... Ugggh..

Just when I thought it couldn't get any worse.

Any suggestions before I start drinking?

Thanks for the breakout though PCB.

there is also and adjustment nutn in the caliper. look in the repair manual, that should resolve your hand brake issues

as for the ABS, you might have to replace the module

That bolt also seems to be really seized... Can't make adjustments on that.

My RR ABS sensor is bad also, E-Brake and ABS light on, but it still passed inspection last week. I don't really like ABS anyways , hah

Had the same thing on my wifes car, RR sensor circuit. tested the sensor and it ended up being the culrpit. just got a new one. Luckily no problems with the bolt.
I gave up on her parking brake. When this set of pads is done it's getting mazda 6 brakes or going bye bye.

as far as how to fix it, drill and easy-out, tap, stainless bolt.

Had the same thing on my wifes car, RR sensor circuit. tested the sensor and it ended up being the culrpit. just got a new one. Luckily no problems with the bolt.
I gave up on her parking brake. When this set of pads is done it's getting mazda 6 brakes or going bye bye.

as far as how to fix it, drill and easy-out, tap, stainless bolt.

Thanks man...

Are you saying the parking brake light is still on after the sensor fix?

Back