About to buy 2013 Sport model - need reassurance!

skm3489

:
2017 CX-5 GT AWD Eternal Blue Mica
Daughter is planning on getting one soon (just wrecked her old car). A quick review shows everyone is happy w/new Sky-Active? I've owned 8 Mazda's in my life and love the brand. Never have liked getting 1st yr of anything but we're going to take a chance on this one. Have seen all the good reviews etc. Anything we should look out for or NOT buy it for?

Sorry for short notice. Thanks so much for your help!

This is a pretty general question. Your best bet is to read through the existing threads. There's a ton of info there, and of course most everyone here is very happy with their CX-5.
Good luck!

Look under the minor complaints thread to get a feel for the few problems some people have had. There is also a 'what we love about our cx-5's' that gives the other perspective. I have had zero problems with my cx-5 and am very happy with the vehicle. There is a ton of info in this forum. Just take an hour to look around and make sure you do a longer test drive (include freeway driving if possible) to check for the mirror and hood vibration to see if it's bothersome (I have neither of those).

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123815417-Any-Complaints-(hopefully-all-minor)
http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123817541-Things-we-love-about-our-CX-5-s

Well since its for your daughter you'll be happy that its not very fast. Lol. Really though, its not nearly as slow as most reviews claim. Especially once you learn how to drive it. Its just a different feel than other cars and requires a bit more heavier foot to get er to go. But itll go when you want it to.

I know, sorry for late notice. I normally research throughly before buying a car but this has been one busy week for us and we need to buy car this weekend so she can get to work. I was just looking for a high-level overview from you all. I'll browse the helpful links attached and look for issues.

A big question is does the new SkyActive consume oil at a higher than normal rate? Her little Honda 1.6 drank quite a bit, not through leaks/pistons etc but it just seemed to burn it. She does not need something that she'll have to constantly check etc. I'm hoping the engine is bulletproof in this regard.

Also, I'm hearing the standard dealer "we're only making $350 per car" line. I realize dealer needs to make money but would like to get reasonable discount etc as there is competition in the area.

Thanks again for your help!

Loving mine... it's short on power (coming from a modified 2007 VW GTI 2.0T) but makes up for it in gas mileage, especially since I recently got a new job and commute ~60 miles a day. My absolute WORST tank of gas so far was 27 MPG, because I was driving through the mountains in the Carolinas. Averaging 31.5 MPG over 6,100 miles since June. Zero problems so far - well, the voice recognition for phone dialing by name kinda sucks, but that's it.

I haven't had a problem with the oil, I can't remember any threads on complaints about the oil in the petrol version. I do remember reading in one thread that someone thought their oil was low after a short amount of time, but no others reporting problems. I don't think I have enough miles on mine to warrant a real response, I haven't even been in for my first oil change. I did check it the other day before leaving for the weekend and it was right on the fill line (I'm near 3000 miles total, so that may not be a good indicator). The main thing seems to be that some builds have the drivers side mirror that vibrates when driving, and some report their hood vibrates also.

Ok, thanks everybody for the valuable input. Will let you know what we end up with.

Just DO it! :) You won't regret (unless you're expecting a sports car) - It's a perfect city car IMHO. Not too big, not too small...just right.

Love our GT Purchased in mid may currently have 6500kms (4000 miles) handles amazingly well for a CUV

The old days of taking a year or two to work out bug with new models is almost non-existent today. There are so many millions spent on testing and simulation software that they can basically test the whole design in the lab before the real car is even made. I feel very comfortable in buying new model years. Before computer simulations this was not the case, they did sort of field test with the public.......

We have had our GT since August 20 and left for a road trip from Naples, Fl Sept 8, to Yankton, SD, and now in Denver, working back through the Dakota's and will head back to Florida after Thanksgiving. Just went over 5000 miles at the beginning of this week and had the oil changed at a Mazda dealer in Longmont, CO yesterday. I am very satisfied with this vehicle. As far as power, it has no problem passing or going up hills in higher altitudes. The GT 8 way seat is comfortable, and I have a bad back. The padding is stiff, however it conforms and have no complaints. The braking in an extreme condition is excellent, I can attest to that, because I unfortunately hit a deer, the deer came from the left, I hit the brakes at 65 mph, the deer was in front of me, the car stopped straight and true, it hit the deer's butt with the right front quarter, we were lucky. The car was repaired in 3 business days and back on the road. Car and Driver did a compare with this and 5 other small suv's , the CX5 came out on top.

Wowsa! You did get lucky (and so did the deer). I had to stop a few times a bit quicker than I would normally want to, and was very happy with the braking power. I hope to never need to test it quite like you did. Other than that, sounds like a good trip. Safe travels.

The Mrs has the Grand Touring AWD and so far to this date we are pleased with it. She doesnt miss the heavy cost of fuel for her previous MDX so having the CX5 has put more money in her pocket (mine too)! Good luck with the purchase.

Back