a unique belt squeel

bafilio1

:
2002 P5
So... just relized that my belt will only squeal upon take off if the HVAC is on a blowing setting either 1-4 head or cool or a/c doesn't matter. and I also notice a lag when I use the heat. Which is not normal for anyother car I've had.. usually with ac but never with heat. anyone have any ideas?

Not sure, but either way the remedy is to tighten the belt. If it still squeals, it's glazed and you need to replace it.

Could be that heat is placing a larger load on your alternator, try using the heat also at night with your lights on.... if that makes it worse then just try tightening your belt. Could be as simple as that.

Check BOTH belts. My only squealed when a/c was on - but it was the alt belt that was slightly loose... [shrug]

the squeeling might mean u need a new belt and as for the lag when the heat is on is that on mazdas the ac clutch cycles with either the ac or heat on

thanks guys.. checked the belts and they are both as taught as can be. Yeah I only notice the squeal when at night while the lights are on. and I'm 80% positive that while i'm driving my lights suddenly get brighter for a milasecond then go back to normal. so idk :shrug:

Hmm def. sounds like a belt issue. Try getting some belt dressing from an autoparts store. Spray a little on then run you car at idle for a few, then let it sit till night time and take it for a spin to see if it still squeals. If the squeals have gone then you can either continue to spray dressing on at regular intervals or replace your belts cuz they are glazed.

Belts don't 'dry out' and require lube.

They do get glazed from slipping or slick from a coolant or oil leak.

Back