A little lesson for the bench racers.

InsidiousMSP

:
Black Mazdaspeed
I've recently noticed a lot of people calling BS on kill stories posted by MSP owners. Their logic is entirely based on 1/4 mile ETs. "A WRX runs 14.4, you only run a 14.7, it should smoke you!" is a paraphrased example. Many are overlooking the trap speeds, probably the only relavent number when street racing. Especially when it's from any mph roll.

Quick example, Joe Blow runs a 13.6 @ 96mph, while Bob Smith runs a 14.9 @ 105mph. They race from a 40mph 3rd gear roll. Who wins?........ Bob's high 14 second car walks Joe by 5 car lenghts. That 9mph difference in trap speeds is huge. Why does John have a better ET then? Lets say he's AWD. He had a better launch on a drag strip. Aside from that, ETs mean nothing. I've seen Supras run 15.5s @ 125mph, and then proceed to smoke a GSXR 750 street bike from 3rd gear on the highway. That's just the way it is.

Anyway, just had to vent. All of this BS calling on completely believable stories was ridiculous. What it comes down to is, a Mazdaspeed with basic modifications... exhaust, boost controller, intake, and FMIC if need be... is good for 101-104mph traps. That's pleanty of power for racing Evolutions, M3s, S4s... frickin Porsche 911 Carrera Tiptronic S. Regardless if the modified Mazdaspeed runs a 15.2 or 13.8. It will probably have the same 100+mph trap. Get some mods guys. :p

Last edited:
I have been sayint the exact same thing for months but no one will listen.I have trapped at 104+ and yet only manage a 14.0 in the 1/4 where my buddies GSX traps at 105 and hits a 13.0-13.1 in the 1/4.It is all in the available traction.At a roll the MSP might lose traction for a second but not for two FULL gears like from a stop at the strip.I beleive almost all of the kill stories that have been posted here as I have done most myself.I just dont post about them so as not to start a nice UN NEEDED FLAMEWAR!
HUH?
Matt

ForceFed, yeah, a nice ET is impossible in this car (with mods) without some crazy motor mounts and drag radials. Hitting the throttle while rolling at 4,000rpms in 2nd gear produces almost uncontrollable wheel spin until the middle of 3rd gear. That car on a sticky track, and you're hopping till the 1000ft. :p

InsidiousMSP said:
ForceFed, yeah, a nice ET is impossible in this car (with mods) without some crazy motor mounts and drag radials. Hitting the throttle while rolling at 4,000rpms in 2nd gear produces almost uncontrollable wheel spin until the middle of 3rd gear. That car on a sticky track, and you're hopping till the 1000ft. :p

I may ATTEMPT full wrinkle wall drag slicks this year but I am afraid to grenade the tranny at launch!Oh well we will see!I bet they drop my E.T. by at least .4 tenths!
Matt

BTW,That would put me at a mid 13 sec. 1/4!

EDIT: they will be mounted on 2 or 3 piece forged 15'' race wheels as well.The extra weight savings combined with the slicks should make for a nice combo

Last edited:
i ran with slicks and only ran a 14.7 at 93.92 mph.

I had a fmic, 2.5in dp, 3 inch cat back, injen, flash and 9-10 psi.

They werent good slicks however, Nitto 555r's.

Some wheelspin but not much.

-B

Last edited:
azian6er said:
i ran with slicks and only ran a 14.7 at 93.92 mph.

I had a fmic, 2.5in dp, 3 inch cat back, flash and 9-10 psi.

They werent good slicks however, Nitto 555r's.

Some wheelspin but not much.

-B

SEE ,that is the difference.Those are DOT slicks and i am talking full race slicks.Wrinkle walls.I ran that 14.0 on the stock rubber and the proper air pressure.No deflating road rubber for me.I hate people that do that as all they are doing is creating less of a contact patch and increasing the rolling resistance.Besides,at a light IF you are about to race someone ,do ask them to hold on while you get out and adjust your air pressure?
HOW GAY!
Matt

TitanB said:
Whats a trap again?

A trap is what your speed is when you cross the 1/4 mile mark at the track.At 1320ft you are doing X amount of miles per hour.This dictates a lot about how your car is set up and running the 1/4.The MSP's are known for high traps with slow E.T's, which makes for a lot of traction issues and trouble putting the power to the ground to put down numbers to be respected by.Only a handful of members have mastered the MSP to click off a REAL low 14 or high 13 sec. 1/4 on the stock rubber.
I just happen to be one of those few:D

I am one with my MSP!
Matt

ForceFed said:
SEE ,that is the difference.Those are DOT slicks and i am talking full race slicks.Wrinkle walls.I ran that 14.0 on the stock rubber and the proper air pressure.No deflating road rubber for me.I hate people that do that as all they are doing is creating less of a contact patch and increasing the rolling resistance.Besides,at a light IF you are about to race someone ,do ask them to hold on while you get out and adjust your air pressure?
HOW GAY!
Matt

you also don't run drag slicks on the road either do you? rendering your rant about lowering tire pressure pointless

mp5jeff said:
you also don't run drag slicks on the road either do you? rendering your rant about lowering tire pressure pointless

To and from the track i do!
Besides,I dont street race;) ;)
Muhahaha!
Matt:D

And i also have gotten the launch down on the MSP pretty good.I like to go from a roll anyway as it is a more fair race for all.

No I meant Slicks not D/R's.And yes I dolive real close to the track.Only a couple of miles.:D
Matt

mp5jeff said:
what slicks are you talking about?

I have not gotten them yet.This is why I said I will try to run then this year when the track opens back up.The last car I had slicks on was my stang.I drove it like 7 miles to the track(same track ,different house)and boy does it suck to drive on those.Ass end will sway all over the place at low speeds.
Matt
BTW,I am not decided on which brand slick I will run nor the compound or diameter.Still up in the air.It will all depend on what my friend makes me for a drag wheel.

so you drive them 14 miles on public streets(to the track and back), im going to go ahead and suggest that you just switch em at the track man...its just not worth it(to me) to waste them on streets but i guess its up to you

mp5jeff said:
so you drive them 14 miles on public streets(to the track and back), im going to go ahead and suggest that you just switch em at the track man...its just not worth it(to me) to waste them on streets but i guess its up to you

No that was how far where i used to live.And I only ran them twice before getting rid of them.I live a whole lot closer now and I will prob switch them at the track with the MSP.Two odd wheels on the street would look goofy anyway and it would waste valueble tread life from the slick.I totally agrre with you on this point.I was just a little lazy back in the day.Hated dragging out tools at the track and all.Besides,by the time I got off work I had to hurry to the track and get in line if I wanted to get at least three runs in.It was more of a time management thing.I have a little more time to play with now.
Matt

Back