A few questions from a CX-5 noob

It's obviously not a huge issue for either of us but it does matter to us and it should matter to you. Those sorts of basic audio functions come standard on nearly every car these days, new vehicles should never have inferior tech when compared to a 6-7 year old vehicle.

I'm loving the car but let's face it, there's always room for improvement.
I bought this toaster-oven because it keeps me cool in the summer, warm in the winter, and it keeps me dry in the rain and goes and stops and sips cheap fuel. Cheaply and reliably. That's it. If it continues to do so, then I am pleased. It's boring, has a harsh/loud ride, and looks like a heavily-used bar of soap chopped in half.

I bought this toaster-oven because it keeps me cool in the summer, warm in the winter, and it keeps me dry in the rain and goes and stops and sips cheap fuel. Cheaply and reliably. That's it. If it continues to do so, then I am pleased. It's boring, has a harsh/loud ride, and looks like a heavily-used bar of soap chopped in half.

It's all personal opinion. I traded in a Mustang for my CX-5. In my opinion the Mustang is a much nicer looking car but I also think the CX-5 is the best looking of all the compact SUVs. And yes, I would also say the CX-5 is more "boring" than my previous ride but it's much more fun to drive than I was anticipating. As for it being harsh/loud, it's much smoother/quieter than I'm accustomed to so I enjoy it.

I tried a 32GB USB stick and I put 1 track in the root directory. Lo and behold, the voice command worked and shuffle was actually random. Only problem is that the 32GB USB stick has a bright blinking LED which is terribly distracting so I'll have to invest in one without that.

Again, thanks everyone for all the help! You guys have been great.

You're welcome. Why not use a little black paint or some black tape to cover that terribly distracting LED?

You're welcome. Why not use a little black paint or some black tape to cover that terribly distracting LED?

I'm thinking of formatting my 128GB one in FAT32. Windows doesn't let you do it by default but there's software I can use to do it. If that doesn't work I'll just buy another one... they are only a few bucks these days. It's just unfortunate that FAT32 is limited to 32GB max.

After pressing the voice command button I say, "Play The Rippingtons" or whatever artist I want to hear. It's not an infallible system, but it works 80% of the time. I don't include "artist" in my request; not sure if that would have any effect.

I bet my cx-5 will out corner your vette

Now that I've owned the vehicle for about 2 and a half weeks, I have a few more questions:

1. How can I turn the car off without turning off the radio/power windows? Do I have to turn the car off and then turn the accessories back on again?

2. Do the windshield wipers really only have a slow, fast, and auto setting? There's no way to adjust the speed manually? The twist knob thing only adjusts the sensitivity of the rain sensor, not the speed of the wipers?

Thanks again, you've all been a big help.

It's all personal opinion. I traded in a Mustang for my CX-5. In my opinion the Mustang is a much nicer looking car but I also think the CX-5 is the best looking of all the compact SUVs. And yes, I would also say the CX-5 is more "boring" than my previous ride but it's much more fun to drive than I was anticipating. As for it being harsh/loud, it's much smoother/quieter than I'm accustomed to so I enjoy it.

I agree with your above 100%, except I had a Grand Jeep Cherokee in between my Z06 and 370Z and my CX-5, so I probably look at the CX-5 a bit more harshly than I otherwise would, in the ride/NVH department.

I bet my cx-5 will out corner your vette

I sold the 'vette years ago, but I pulled something like 1.1-1.2g's in those cars on the track when you combine braking and cornering/accel/cornering. On the street, I rarely broke 0.7g, because why tempt fate? Gravel and oil happen.

Now that I've owned the vehicle for about 2 and a half weeks, I have a few more questions:

1. How can I turn the car off without turning off the radio/power windows? Do I have to turn the car off and then turn the accessories back on again?

1. Put it in N then turn the engine off. The car will go into accessories mode directly and the radio will stay on. However, to open/close other windows, you need to press the power button once more, without pressing the brake pedal, to go into ON mode.

2. Do the windshield wipers really only have a slow, fast, and auto setting? There's no way to adjust the speed manually? The twist knob thing only adjusts the sensitivity of the rain sensor, not the speed of the wipers?

I can't answer #1 - never tried nor do I have use to turn only the accessories on.

#2 - I don't like the rain sensing wipers - they are too sensitive and would flip on with the slightest amount of road spray from the vehicle in front of me. I found that the delayed wiper feature to work perfectly once rain sensing is turned off in settings (through your infotainment).

Back