A/F at idle

Little Beavis

:
2001 MP3-T (#911)
FINALLY. . .put in my wideband. I'm running real rich (go figure. . .didn't need a wideband to tell me that). . .anyway, the thing that surprised me is that I'm real rich at idle.

Am I supposed to be?

I'm talking 12:1 and sometimes even richer!

Cruising down the highway out of boost 14:1 to 14.7:1 so I think it reads right. . .the thing hunts and hunts, but you keep seeing 14.7 pop up. So, I think it is functioning properly. I'm guessing the richness is a result of my inline pump.

Thoughts?

Any of you with widebands. . .what do you see?

where and what kind of wideband do you have have. How much did it run you?
--Bryan

Yeah, if you are cruising your wideband should read in between 14 and 15 right around 14.7. When you 1st start your car up, it will be rich until you warm up. If you are still running rich at idle after driving around for like 10 minutes, some tuning may be in order.

FMU. . .but that shouldn't be affecting the idle. . .only when I approach "boost".

I'm guessing my inline pump has created a rich condition at idle.

Anybody know if I can replace the stock FPR with something at a lower pressure and get that to work? Car is real rich at idle, but when cruising will hunt for 14.7 like it should.

I was thinking maybe an adjustable FMU to replace the stock FPR and set the "static" pressure lower or something and then have the "regular" gain as you boost. Just a thought, probably won't do it, because I don't know what I'm talking about, but it kind of makes sense. . .anyone have some better insight?

If you are in the market for a AFMU, go for the BEGI. With the BEGI, it has the restrictor in-line so that the addition of the Pierburg fuel pump doesn't over richen.

Little Beavis said:
FINALLY. . .put in my wideband. I'm running real rich (go figure. . .didn't need a wideband to tell me that). . .anyway, the thing that surprised me is that I'm real rich at idle.

Am I supposed to be?

I'm talking 12:1 and sometimes even richer!

Cruising down the highway out of boost 14:1 to 14.7:1 so I think it reads right. . .the thing hunts and hunts, but you keep seeing 14.7 pop up. So, I think it is functioning properly. I'm guessing the richness is a result of my inline pump.

Thoughts?

Any of you with widebands. . .what do you see?

Idling situation is suppose to be really rich. There's not much air entering into the cyclinder at idling and the car is standing still, so the ecu pumps more fuel into the cylinder so there's a higher probability of fuel finding air to burn. 12:1 is not too bad, especially if you're cold-starting an engine, the engine will automatically richen the mixture. Is your idling rough? is there a constant jump in the rpm (rpm not staying still) when you're at idling? sounds like your fmu is working correctly cuz you're crusing at 14.7, so that's probably not the culprit. Might want to look at an EGT meter and see what kind of EGT you're getting. You have a cat too right? Cuz if you got a piggyback or an oem ecu, the ecu will try to heat up the cat fast in the cold-start cylcle and help emission. But I don't know if that applies to your situation.

Back