A couple of questions for those who are more experienced

ifaiZing

:
2003 Mazdaspeed Protege
Hello, everyone!

I'd like to ask a couple of questions regarding installing a FMIC onto a 2003.5 Mazdaspeed Protege. This will be my first installation of a FMIC onto my car and I hope you all can give me some input and advice because I am pretty new to all this. I am thinking about getting a Mishimoto Z-Line FMIC since I don't have the money to spend for an entire kit or the more expensive FMICs like Perrin.

Would I need to cut my front crash bar in order to install the FMIC?

Do I need to remove my fans or anything?

Would it work well for a stock turbo? No surge, lag, fluttering?

These are the questions that I am currently having in my head. If I think of any more, I'll let you all know.

Thanks for your help, everyone!

I don't have any experience with the Mishimoto kit, but most FMIC kits are pretty similar.

1. Yes, you will likely need to cut the crash bar to be able to raise the core high enough so that it's actually exposed to the cold air through the lower grille.
2. You might need slim fans in place of the stock ones, but that will depend on how the IC piping is routed.
3. Yes, stock turbo will do just fine. Unless your piping is 2 miles long it shouldn't lag, and if you setup the BOV or BVP (your choice) properly you shouldn't surge or flutter either.

Back