A Cornering Question

:
mazda
I was cornering on the highway the other day, and I felt like the car was going to oversteer as I approached 60 so I slowed down. I fell way behind my friend, who was in front of me in a lowered Volvo. He was really surprised that I couldn't out handle him. I'm moderately lowered on yellowspeed coilovers with a progress RSB. My wheels are 17x7 with a lower offset so I'm running -2 deg camber in the back. Tires are Continental Extreme Contact. The curve was a merge with a 90 degree turn with a radius of about 500 feet. Should my car be able to handle that at 60?

Slow down more before the turn and stay on the throttle. Gotta keep the rear planted. Weight transfer. If you let off or broke mid-corner, you take the pressure off the rear. Also stiffen your front end and soften the rear a little. The stiffer the setup is, the more snappy and shifter-kart-like it'll get. If you're one of those people who run their coils full stiff, that's one of your problems. The yellowspeeds and bcs will go way over-dampened to accommodate up to 2kg higher spring rates. The springs can't rebound strong enough for full damping.

Last edited:
Back