A/C Recharge Kit (worked for me!)

Does anybody know what the temperature should read after several minutes?
Yes, there is a chart in the Workshop Manual. It should read between 3-5C depending on the outside temp. Before I can see how well the kit worked I need to pick up a thermometer to measure the output temp. Will post the results when I can.
AC-Chart.JPG

Last edited:
hmm, i wonder if they make a hybrid solution for cards that use r12..
The kit I bought from Canadian Tire was a hybrid kit, each can was equivalent to 18oz of R-12 or 16oz of R-134a.

Second, when filling, it is generally not a good idea to hold the can upside down.
I'm not too sure about this, the instructions stated that the can was supposed to be upside-down while recharging.

And I think the LeakStop can was mostly to help with revitalizing any leaky seals in the system. There's no way it could fix a hole, or it would plug up the compressor for sure.

So ticked that the Canadian Tire version doesn't come with a gauge! Couldn't even get one at Napa. If they'd order one for me, it'd be almost $100 for a fancy digital one. OK, so after running the car for about 2-3 minutes at about 1500 RPM, the temperature from the vents was 20 degrees celcius. I'll use it on the way to work tomorrow and take a reading then....

Lucky me, the kit i bought in Plattsburgh came with a real nice gauge on it, and it was only 30$ or so. Where do you live? IF (which for some reason i doubt) you live in MTL or the surrounding areas, you can always drop by here and we'll check what t he pressure inside your coolants lines is.

http://www.id-usa.com/product.asp?CID=28&PID=217

I'm not too sure about this, the instructions stated that the can was supposed to be upside-down while recharging.

And I think the LeakStop can was mostly to help with revitalizing any leaky seals in the system. There's no way it could fix a hole, or it would plug up the compressor for sure.

I have done quite a bit of research on this subject. I have experience retro-fitting and servicing A/C systems on quite a few different cars. Everything I have read says not to invert the can, except for maybe the first can if the system was empty. Inverting the can allows liquid refrigerant to flow into the low side of the system, where normally it is in a gaseous state. The refrigerant gets compressed at the compressor (obviously), and then goes to the condenser, where it changes from a gas to a liquid state. There are many good articles on the net about A/C systems. Just google on it.

Usually, if there is a leak in your A/C system, it is caused by a rubber o-ring. Nearly every connection uses one of these to seal. Hoses themselves usually don't develop leaks, unless something like a belt or another hose rubs a hole. In this case, stop leak is useless.

Actually, I DO live in Montreal! But I got a prob now. I tried my AC this morning and the compressor isnt going on. I'm not sure if it's because it's only 20 degrees celsius outside, but I'm starting to freak-out! Can it be I screwed my compressor after 10 minutes??

Actually, I DO live in Montreal! But I got a prob now. I tried my AC this morning and the compressor isnt going on. I'm not sure if it's because it's only 20 degrees celsius outside, but I'm starting to freak-out! Can it be I screwed my compressor after 10 minutes??

Wouldn't know the answer to that question. Could you have maybe overfilled it? I wonder why these recharge kits done all come with a gauge.

If your gonna charge your system and the kit comes with enuf for a completly empty system then it may be a good idea to completly empty the system first.

If i remember correctly there are preasure switches in the system. And if the reading is too high or low the compressor will not turn on.

Time for plan be...visit the mechanic.... Thanks guys! Hey, Delguini...Thanks for the offer! I work near the Big-O and live in LaSalle. If you've got a minute this week, I'd really appreciate it!

Where can I get refrigerant? Canadian Tire in my area doesn't sell it because of some stupid law requiring only a garage to work with it.

OK, so I got a pressure tester and the pressure on my low end was really high. I bled some off, but the compressor won't come on. Is there some sort of reset I can do? Is there pressure switches in play here? And if so, why haven't they detected the reduced pressure and engaged the compressor?? Thanks!

OK, so I got a pressure tester and the pressure on my low end was really high. I bled some off, but the compressor won't come on. Is there some sort of reset I can do? Is there pressure switches in play here? And if so, why haven't they detected the reduced pressure and engaged the compressor?? Thanks!

Before anyone tries to work on their own A/C system, I would strongly recommend that they do some research on how they work. The pressures on the low side and the high side are the same if the compressor is not running. The low pressure is created by the compressor when it sucks the refrigerant from the low pressure side, and compresses it on the high side. There are pressure switches on both the low and high sides that won't allow the compressor to run if the refrigerant is low. When you bled off some freon you only made your system lower on refrigerant.

What you should do is take it to a shop and have them hang their guages on it. They should be able to tell you exactly what the problem is. Most shops in my area charge about 1/2 hour labor to do this.

OK, so i went to my brother-in-law's garage today. They don't do AC, but they checked mine out. They checked fuses and relay, I told them to just bleed it out and re-fill. So they sucked it all out with a pump and re-filled....voila! It works great now and super cold! That with the A/C switch finally fixed and not flickering....I'M ECSTATIC!
So, no damage to compressor, just pressure was either too high or too low and tripped the pressure switch....

Help!!

Hey guys.. I am in the process of trying out this stuff, and I can't get anything to come out of the can at all!

No tsure what I could be doing wrong, I am following the instructions word by word... Any help?

Thanks!

James

Yeah, I don't understand either! But the can isn't emptying!

Could that imply that I don't infact have a leak but rather an obstruction in the line??

Latest posts

Back