A/C only works in position 1 & 4

I think the problem is most likely what you originally said, there is a tiny contact region.

Probably that's it. Probably. It's still worth taking a look at the resistor pack. If nothing else at least inspect the contacts and make sure that they aren't dirty or corroded. You've already seen what an iffy contact can do in this circuit. It shouldn't take more than 5 minutes or so to do this, as the pack is just behind the glove box.

Bumping this as it is starting to get warm again and harder to get it to work in the mid2-3 position.

How much should I expect to pay for a replacement unit?

Bump as I just found out my wife's '02 Protege has this problem. Anyone find out if the clip can be oredered separately? I'm not even going to check the dealer cause her car's got 84K miles.

Yeah,

This problem sucks come summer time. The 23 most useful speeds too. My 1,3, and 4 are working but 2 is dead as a doornail.

As does everyone, I of course have this problem. I'm actually relieved, since I just bought my '02 P5 used and assumed that AC on speeds 2 & 3 were out due to the previous owner messing around with wiring or just poor care.

www.car-parts.com salvage yard got mine for $30 and a guarantee it works or send it back for replacement! This was the whole "a/c control unit"
Thanks for the link!
I checked it out, but couldn't find "A/C Control Unit" as a selection.
There is, however, an option to pick "A/C Assembly."
Is this a completely different part and they're out of the control unit, or are they one in the same?

I actually called them for this and a few other parts. I got my tranny, a/c controls (not a/c assembly just the "control unit") and a power steering pump.

Thanks!
I'll follow your lead and just shoot them a phone call.
Should I be prepared to give a part number, or should they be able to find it on their own?
Also, did you get the unit for the '02 or '03 model?

How easy/hard was it to swap out the old with the new A/C unit?

How easy/hard was it to swap out the old with the new A/C unit?

Easy, just make note of where ur cables were lined upo to before or you'll end up setting it to feet and you'll get defrost, etc.

www.car-parts.com salvage yard got mine for $30 and a guarantee it works or send it back for replacement! This was the whole "a/c control unit"

are you serious? $30 for the whole thing!?!? Isn't this like $300 from the dealership? I have had no 2-3 for about 2 years now...I am just waiting for 4 to go out. And here in Arizona, where it will probably hit around 115- I will not be a happy camper.

Yes sir! I went to the dealer first too! Any junk yard should have a protege sitting around the lot! This was easiest for me...called them up and had had it in 2 days.

are you serious? $30 for the whole thing!?!? Isn't this like $300 from the dealership? I have had no 2-3 for about 2 years now...I am just waiting for 4 to go out. And here in Arizona, where it will probably hit around 115- I will not be a happy camper.

I need to get mine fixed as well...this is the second time 2&3 went out on me lol. It's too hot for that sh*t to happen.

three times the charm....not! Help me, help me!

My a/c went out, too! But I still need help!!! Before anyone starts calling me a girl, I am a girl, ok?

2002 Protege 5, I bought it new. On setting 2&3, I can feel the freon, but there's no air. On setting 4 I have blowing air, but no a/c. On setting 1, nothing. I live in Florida and this sucks!

I got a replacement unit from the junk yard and installed it with all the GREAT tuturials and advice from this forum. Same exact problem, so the junk yard replaced the unit, and I have the same problem again! I checked the wires going into the center switch and everything looks good.

Anybody have any more ideas???
Thanks!

I'd get your A/C checked out, could be something wrong elsewhere... compressor bad, needs a recharge, etc

Back