A/C motor, blower, andor control panel going out. Help!

Oldern

:
2003 Mazda 6
A/C motor, blower, andor control panel going out. Help!

Advice on replacing A/C control Panel in a 2003 Mazda 6.

(If this is not the place to post, please advise)

A/c blower quit working and dealer told me the blower motor and resistor for the blower unit needed replacing for $300. Also told me cabin air filter needed replacing at a cost of $80. While replacing cabin filter, my son noticed the blower began working. Now, a month later, the blower has stopped working on speed setting 4. It works on 1, 2, and 3, and it will work with the control between 3 and 4, although Im not sure which speed it is working at in that position-whether 3 or 4.

Local mechanic says motor is not at fault and changing the resistor didnt solve the problem. He says the A/C Control Panel needs replacing and a used one would cost about $200 plus his labor and a couple of days delay in getting the used part. In passing, he said this affects the radio a well but as far as I know, the radio has worked ok.

Our neighbor just went through a horrendous ordeal with her dealership which took about 3-5 weeks to get a replacement part for her car. She got stuck with a car rental fee for the whole time. Stuff happens but I hope it doesnt happen to me.

Ive read several posts on similar problem and thought one of them might apply. But Im barely knowledgeable enough to listen to the mechanic, much less give him any advice. I thought about asking him to read some of these threads to see if anything might help. I have no idea whether he reads anything on the internet or not. But some folks like the ones on this site, are very knowledgeable.

I can do what the local mechanic suggests, but with used parts, who can say. Or, I can go back to the local dealer where we bought the car for his advice and confront him with what appears to be a bad diagnosis about the motor. They could re-diagnose and perhaps agree with local mechanic. The dealer has done 85% of the upkeep on the car to date. I know their costs will be more plus Ill owe the local mechanic for his work.

Help! Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Back