A/C light blinking

:
2002 P5
My A/C light blinks, but only on fan position three. I've heard of people having to relace the switch. Is this the reason? The fan works fine, it doesn't change speed with the blinking light.

mine does this on setting 2, and its really annoying cuz the ac actually switches on and off with the light, in 90 degree weather that gets old quick lol

any input would help

It sounds like a short in the wiring behind the A/C, have you ever spilled anything on it?
Try taking it apart and looking at the wires.
Though I base this on absolutely no knowledge

There is/was a TSB on this, (TSB: 07-005/03) my old '02 PR5 developed this glitch too. It only happened to me on fan speed setting 2, and indeed the A/C was cycling on/off with the light, as you could feel it in the gas pedal. It did it most often when car was very warm inside, after sitting in the hot sun, and the problem would seem to go away as the interior cooled down. (If I "jiggled" the button while watching the green light I could find the sweet spot and make it "stay on" long enough to cure itself). TheMAN's faq explains it better, it's something like a insufficient voltage issue with the original design of the switch that has been corrected with a new part #?

Last edited:
So, when people have this problem, does the fan go on and off with the light? Mine is just the A/C. Than fan stays constant.

The fan stays on. The LED and compressor go on and off together. At least to first order, since when the LED is off the air coming out is not cold, but I can't say for sure that the two are completely synchronous down to the millisecond.

If you pull the switch and llok at th econnector - you will see it all gunked up. I cut the plug and crimped on connectors. Good fix so far. ;)

If you pull the switch and llok at th econnector - you will see it all gunked up. I cut the plug and crimped on connectors. Good fix so far. ;)

That isn't the problem with mine, it seems to be related to the TSB (circuit board problem, in this case it manifests only at high internal car temperature). Both electrical connectors (the heavy one for the fan, and the lighter one for everything else) are in good shape. I also took apart the rotary fan control switch and there was nothing wrong with it. So it is almost certainly the circuit board in the climate control unit. One from the junk yard is likely to have the same issue, and as I recall a new one was pretty expensive. Anybody know what the price for one of these circuit boards is now?

That isn't the problem with mine, it seems to be related to the TSB (circuit board problem, in this case it manifests only at high internal car temperature). Both electrical connectors (the heavy one for the fan, and the lighter one for everything else) are in good shape. I also took apart the rotary fan control switch and there was nothing wrong with it. So it is almost certainly the circuit board in the climate control unit. One from the junk yard is likely to have the same issue, and as I recall a new one was pretty expensive. Anybody know what the price for one of these circuit boards is now?

I am having this same issue at the moment and found out alot since researching. I will attempt to do the connector cleaning since that is most likely the problem.

The entire core housing unit is $285 from Mazda and JUST the fan switch is $27. But honestly, It is probably the connectors so clean those before you start buying up parts.

take off the front panel and remove the speed selector switch you will see its 1 melted or 2 it has corrosion on it or like in my case both take it off and clean it and it will work fine. This is a know problem with most of these cars and i believe there is a thread about fixing it. it is an easy fix don't buy new parts from the stealership and waste your money.

Back