A/C acting funny

:
2002 Red Protege 5
Something wierd is going on with my air conditioner. I've made an appointment with service to have them look at it. When I have it on the A/C will work when the fan is on either 1, 3, or 4. But when I put the fan on setting 2 it cuts the A/C off and on. It's like a light bulb that flickers. Just wondering if anyone else is having a problem or heard of such a thing.

yep, i had it. brought it to the dealer and the said something was loose in the back. got my car back and it hasn't done it since.

You know, I noticed the exact same thing recently too. Better follow up on that one before the warranty runs out.

WOA. Freaky... mine was doing that the other day too. Time for a trip to the dealer.

I have an appointment for next friday, I'm hoping it's just something loose like a switch.

The funny thing is the other week I had to have them look at the airbags because the warning light came on for no reason and it turned out that half the sensors were bad. Just wierd stuff going wrong. I'm just glad it's still under warranty because that was 400 dollars.

Thanks guys for the replies and I'll let you know what happens

I'm at 41K so I better get in there quick.

Truc, how long did it take them to repair the problem?

it took them half an hour. i brought it in when it was happening. and damn did i suffer. imagine july in tucson with no AC. they toggled the AC button, toggled the fan speed one, then said, have a seat in the lobby. they came back and said there was a faulty wire and they fixed it. it hasn't happened since, so i guess it's cool. i still see that the space between fan speed 1 and fan speed 2 still causes a "blackout" of the AC light. between 2-3 and 3-4 doesn't have this "blackout." i hope this is "normal"

What's happening is that the wires that control your a/c are coming loose in the rear. The wires work like the caliper wires on bicycle brakes (flexible wire inside a hollow rigid outer cover). the outer cover has to be held in place by clips in order for it to work properly. If it slips out of the clips, then the whole thing will flex, and the wire in the core will not have enough tension to pull the controls under your dash. This started happening to me after I installed my stereo. I found that my A/C wouldn't come out of the dash openings, so i looked, and sure enough - the wire had come out of the clip. The dial for WHERE the AC blows out through and the 1-2-3-4 dial both work in this manner, and if you have the problem again, save yourself the trouble. It's a 10 second job. just snap the wire back into the clip where the marks are, and you're set.

memo79 said:
The dial for WHERE the AC blows out through and the 1-2-3-4 dial both work in this manner, and if you have the problem again, save yourself the trouble. It's a 10 second job. just snap the wire back into the clip where the marks are, and you're set.
WRONG!

Actually, the knob that adjusts the speed (1,2,3,4) Isnt controlled via wire. It is electronic. The Hot/Cold knob and the Vent selection knob are controlled via cable like you mentioned.

The problem of the flickering light on the second setting is pretty common. There is even a Mazda TSB out on it here:http://web2.airmail.net/theman/protegefaq/tsb/mt000003895.html

My car is doing this, but only on hot days. I really dont care to get it fixed, and my radio bezel is modified so I am sure I would get s*** from the dealership for it.

Just checked, and.......oops!! you're right. it's the temp control, not the 1234 control. sorry for the bad info. but still, if it's a problem with the temp control or vent control, check those cables first.

Yeah my s*** just started doing this last week also and I have 37K miles on it. If I leave it in the #4 position it works fine though.

MP5s Make Ready said:
Something wierd is going on with my air conditioner. I've made an appointment with service to have them look at it. When I have it on the A/C will work when the fan is on either 1, 3, or 4. But when I put the fan on setting 2 it cuts the A/C off and on. It's like a light bulb that flickers. Just wondering if anyone else is having a problem or heard of such a thing.
!!!! hooray I was gonna make a thread about this a few days ago.

ELEmental59437 said:
My car is doing this, but only on hot days. I really dont care to get it fixed, and my radio bezel is modified so I am sure I would get s*** from the dealership for it.
Yeah I painted my bezel a couple days ago but this was happening before then, I'm very paranoid of them completely voiding my warranty for something stupid... i.e. they open my hood for no reason, see CAI, void my warranty, mom cuts my head off, etc.

my car does this too...does it actually mean that the air conditioning unit is turning on and off as the light flickers, or is it simply cosmetic? im trying to decide if this is worth fixing or not.

Mine has been doing it for a year

Mine has been doing it for a year

Taking it TUESDAY to get heater control print board changed.

According to MT000003895 it is failure of heater control print board.

Back