A better lubricant (maybe?) helping me go the distance!

Have you tried manual calculation?
Based on past posts of 75-85MPH, have you tried driving closer to the speed limit, e.g. +5 MPH?
Does the engine get full warmed-up by the time you get to work? How long is the commute?
How is traffic along your commute?

The speed limit many places is 75-85, and certainly no less than 70...how slow do you want me to go!?

Commute to work is 2 miles, so no. Traffic is non-existent. Then from work, in the morning, it's a 15 mile drive to my gym, on an empty freeway (70-75), and the same returning home, +2 miles.

Do you have a fairly trustworthy dealer? or do you change yourself as well. If dealer... possible they were just giving you a low grade non-moly synthetic. In another thread... I can't remember username.. the Blackstone report showed it wasn't Mazda moly oil even though that's what dealer reportedly sold them.

Like I have said in other threads... I may not know until I have 6 figure mileage if the moly oil was worth it.
My dealer is above and beyond exceptional. Free carwashes whenever I want, coffee, snacks in the lounge, replaced a flooded diff for free...no, I can't say a single thing bad about my dealer!

OEM size 17"

Average highway speed is around 55-70mph so around 63mph average.

Terrain is sometimes hilly with inclines and declines so in the end it balances out. Going one way on steep inclines I can see 26 mpg and then on the way back the declines see 34mpg giving me 30mpg average both ways.

I use 91 octane and air my tires at 40psi COLD

40psi cold is definitely higher than spec. I would be surprised if you don't get abnormal wear and shorter life span, as well as reduced traction and a more jarring ride.
I tried 93 octane and it didn't matter.
Today to/from the range, I averaged 29mpg. very hilly, speeds 40-60. That's about what the EPA rating seems to suggest I should see. Will drain the tank in a week or two and have a better idea.

Going 85 in my Cx-5 sees about 28 mpg on the last road trip I went on. This is the 2.0 manual fwd.

Btw, did you ever check the caliper slide pins?

My dealer is above and beyond exceptional. Free carwashes whenever I want, coffee, snacks in the lounge, replaced a flooded diff for free...no, I can't say a single thing bad about my dealer!
free Car wash you say, more like free swirl marks! I never let the dealer wash my cars

40psi cold is definitely higher than spec. I would be surprised if you don't get abnormal wear and shorter life span, as well as reduced traction and a more jarring ride.
I tried 93 octane and it didn't matter.
Today to/from the range, I averaged 29mpg. very hilly, speeds 40-60. That's about what the EPA rating seems to suggest I should see. Will drain the tank in a week or two and have a better idea.

I always keep an eye on treadwear and never had any issues with my tires. Tires are rated to 51psi so 40psi cold is well within specs. Remember, factory calls for 36psi COLD so it's only 4psi higher.

The CX5 could probably use a 7th gear so it would see a double/double overdrive so it can handle speeds above 70mph without a major drop in MPG. 85MPH is a high speed limit. What area do you live in that allows 85MPH? Even in desert highway Arizona the speed limit is 75MPH

free Car wash you say, more like free swirl marks! I never let the dealer wash my cars

They do fine. I've seen a bad car wash from a dealer. These guys do alright. Know what? I use the brush supplied at the car-wash, myself, lol. It's a cheap SUV. The paint is there to prevent rust. Now, my sports cars, they got hand-washed, microfiber, longitudinal movements only, blah blah blah. This is just a daily beater, and damned if I'm going to spend more than 15 minutes washing it.

I always keep an eye on treadwear and never had any issues with my tires. Tires are rated to 51psi so 40psi cold is well within specs. Remember, factory calls for 36psi COLD so it's only 4psi higher.

The CX5 could probably use a 7th gear so it would see a double/double overdrive so it can handle speeds above 70mph without a major drop in MPG. 85MPH is a high speed limit. What area do you live in that allows 85MPH? Even in desert highway Arizona the speed limit is 75MPH

I dunno. That little 4-banger is actually pretty low in the revs. I want to say my 370Z with its lower drag, lower Cd, and higher power, was turning more revs at 80 than this CX-5 does, interestingly enough!

51psi is max safe operating temperature, but if you were to actually look at your contact patch, I bet somewhere in the middle of 30-40psi would be best. The CX-5 doesn't have the horsepower to do it really, but what I used to do was lay down a patch of rubber, and check out if it was darker to the center (needs less pressure), or the edges (needs more), or even (leave it alone). I got good contact patches roughly right where the manufacturer said I would.

Maybe you could roll through some water, and look at it that way, roll on until the tires were dry, and see if the tread dried evenly from left to right? I dunno if that would work or prove anything.

They do fine. I've seen a bad car wash from a dealer. These guys do alright. Know what? I use the brush supplied at the car-wash, myself, lol. It's a cheap SUV. The paint is there to prevent rust. Now, my sports cars, they got hand-washed, microfiber, longitudinal movements only, blah blah blah. This is just a daily beater, and damned if I'm going to spend more than 15 minutes washing it.

I gotta disagree with your thought process. Yeah, in your mind its a "cheap SUV" but you still spent thousands of dollars for it. It's still something that represents you and you should take pride in it. I don't care if I'm driving around a $5000 car or $30000 one. I still take great care of it and think no different. Now, this of course is my own personal opinion. Many don't share the same mindset. I see this one Tesla all the time parked next to many cars at work. Hurts me lol But hey, your choice. Just remember, the better you take care of it, the more appealing it will be to the next dealer when you try and trade it in or sell it.

But yeah, those automated car washers at dealers. Scratch machines. You may not realize but as soon as the sun hits your car, bam! Micro scratches galore.

Uno, I use an AEM drop in filter which I periodically clean 1-2x per year due to all the dust storms we get in Arizona.

Considering you live in a similar environment check how dirty is your air intake filter. Also when I'm out in the open highway there's lots of crosswinds that I notice. The CX-5 is light and tall and less surface tire traction (stock wheels). Good for straight line driving into incoming winds. Bad for cross winds. In other words crosswinds would really hamper a CX-5's mpgs.

I'm assuming if you drop a CX-5 1.5 inches, get 8 inch wide tires, and not have a roof rack it should maximize mpgs against crosswinds. ****Good excuse to get mods fellas LOL*****

Last edited:
Uno, I use an AEM drop in filter which I periodically clean 1-2x per year due to all the dust storms we get in Arizona.

Considering you live in a similar environment check how dirty is your air intake filter. Also when I'm out in the open highway there's lots of crosswinds that I notice. The CX-5 is light and tall and less surface tire traction (stock wheels). Good for straight line driving into incoming winds. Bad for cross winds. In other words crosswinds would really hamper a CX-5's mpgs.

I'm assuming if you drop a CX-5 1.5 inches, get 8 inch wide tires, and not have a roof rack it should maximize mpgs against crosswinds. ****Good excuse to get mods fellas LOL*****

My filter was just replaced some 8k miles ago. The old one wasn't even that terrible.

I gotta disagree with your thought process. Yeah, in your mind its a "cheap SUV" but you still spent thousands of dollars for it. It's still something that represents you and you should take pride in it. I don't care if I'm driving around a $5000 car or $30000 one. I still take great care of it and think no different. Now, this of course is my own personal opinion. Many don't share the same mindset. I see this one Tesla all the time parked next to many cars at work. Hurts me lol But hey, your choice. Just remember, the better you take care of it, the more appealing it will be to the next dealer when you try and trade it in or sell it.

But yeah, those automated car washers at dealers. Scratch machines. You may not realize but as soon as the sun hits your car, bam! Micro scratches galore.
My dealer hand washes.

Sworls, rock chips, it's all life for a high mileage daily.

My dealer hand washes.

Sworls, rock chips, it's all life for a high mileage daily.

My dealer "hand washed" the car the first time right when I bought it. The service shop was closed so the auto car wash was shut down for the day. I thought great, no auto wash = less chance of swirls. I went back to see what was taking so long and there the salesman was washing my brand new car with a dirty bucket, dirty water, and one of those red shop rags!!!!! Never again will I let that dealership touch my paint.

40psi cold is definitely higher than spec.
For your 17" Touring, the spec is 34 psi. The spec for 19" GT is 36 psi. 40 psi is 6 psi over your spec. If you still run OEM Yokohama Geolandar G91A 225/65R17 100H tires, your maximum tire pressure is 44 psi for maximum load at 1,764 lbs. I wouldn't pump up to 40 psi for these tires unless you'd replaced with other tires with maximum pressure at 51 psi. 36 psi cold would be my suggestion for your OEM 44 psi tires.

If I had 225/65R17 101H tires with maximum tire pressure at 51 psi, I'd try at least 38 psi cold as the tire pressure / load ratio has changed comparing to OEM 17" tires.

Just an update. Statistically, my mileage has not changed a bit. I will continue to spend $20 on oil vs. $40 on oil, and use the Mobil 1 product, so long as I don't see it getting burned off when I check the oil level at 5K.

For your 17" Touring, the spec is 34 psi. The spec for 19" GT is 36 psi. 40 psi is 6 psi over your spec. If you still run OEM Yokohama Geolandar G91A 225/65R17 100H tires, your maximum tire pressure is 44 psi for maximum load at 1,764 lbs. I wouldn't pump up to 40 psi for these tires unless you'd replaced with other tires with maximum pressure at 51 psi. 36 psi cold would be my suggestion for your OEM 44 psi tires.

If I had 225/65R17 101H tires with maximum tire pressure at 51 psi, I'd try at least 38 psi cold as the tire pressure / load ratio has changed comparing to OEM 17" tires.

Mine are all hovering at 36psi cold. Should be fine. The tread-wear looks exceptional. I am using Continental Cross Contact LX20 EcoPlus tires in OEM size.

Back