99 Protege downpipe keeps breaking

bvolks

:
99 Protege
Has anyone else had this problem? The downpipe on my '99 Protege (1.6L) has broken off 4 times in the last 6 months and never in the same place twice (at both flanges, an inch or so past the convertor and around the oxygen sensor hole along with a couple splits lengthwise that I welded up). Here's what was waiting for me this morning when the wife got home. I've been avoiding replacing it because the studs coming out of the convertor look terrible so I just keep welding it back together. There doesn't seem to be excessive movement in the motor mounts so I have no idea why it keeps breaking. It's not rusted out and I can weld it on the highest setting on my mig without it burning through. I know my welds look crappy but it's never broken again anywhere I've welded it. It had already been welded around the o2 sensor when I bought it so it's obviously been an ongoing problem.
May92012004.jpg

Yes, I have one already to pick up but I've been holding out on changing it until the wife has a couple consecutive days off because the studs coming out of the convertor are in really bad shape and I know I'm going to get into a mess when I change it.

Back