94 "R" Package

genericuser

Contributor
:
96 Miata M-Edition, 2015 Mazda 3 Hatch
Aside from looking at the description on miata.net, anybody else have any first hand experience with a 94 R package? From what I gather, it has a beefier suspension, no power steering, LSD, and a spoiler.

I found one for sale near me and I'm going to go drive it this week at some point. Admittedly, my only experiences with a non-power steering car to date are an 84 cavalier and a 94 civic coupe. I would not describe either of those driving experiences as pleasureable. Those cars are also heavier and handle worse than a miata.

Here are the stats:
94 Laguna R Package
51k Miles
$8000. <-- A little steep for that, no?

Either way, your thoughts would be appreciated.

R package has no power windows, mirrors or steering. ( like the look of the power mirrors better). AC was an option. Mine has it!
Not sure if the springs are different but they use stiff Bilstein shocks with a larger sway bar. Also has front / rear lower spoilers and not sure if the trunk spoiler was standard.

I dont mind driving with the miata's non power steering. Honestly i dont even really notice much but it does require more effort than my MSP. Most people either love or hate the suspension. Its stiff. Some say too stiff? I prefer a nice Koni setup over the Bilstein but my GF likes the Bilsteins.

Your paying for the low mileage and color. If im not mistaken Laguna blue 94's are pretty rare. Unless your set on that color I would try to find a better deal on a different color elsewhere.

Thanks for the info Boostin'.

I did know about the lack of power steering, but I didn't know that it lacked power everything. Unless I 100% love the way it drives, I'm going to pass on it.

I would at least take it for a drive just so you know what an R package feels like if you dont know already. I believe the C pkg and PEP pkg also came with the Torsens. You can deffinately find better deals though if your willing to wait and look around. Good Luck!

I've been looking since December for a Miata. I was two days away from picking up the keys to a 99 Emerald Green/Tan Leather with the aero package. 20k original miles. My house flooded after a bad snow/rain storm. The damage wasn't as bad as we thought, so I'm able to purchase one sooner than I had originally planned.

So now I'm VERY seriously hunting, and I just have to find the right one :)

Trouble is, good miatas are hard to find up here in the Northeast.

If you're not set on getting an R-Package you can definitely beat that price. IMO, the R-Package isn't all that great if you plan on swapping out the suspension. The big deal with the R for me would be that I get the Diff and (hopefully) the front and rear R-Package lips which are hard to find. Well the rear lip is since it has officially been out of production for about 2 years now. If you're willing to drive a bit, I'm sure you'll find something out there.

Yeah, the only reason I looked at the R pack one (it is on miata.net) is because it was located 5 miles from my house. I wasn't impressed and I'm still searching.

The right one will come along eventually.

I have the equivilant of the R-Package (I have no options in my 91) and I wouldn't have it any other way.

ehh... skip the r-package... esp if you can get a nicer car cheaper...

most likely you'll replace the shocks/springs anyways... so the only plus you get out of an r-package is you wont get power windows...

before I ever owned a car w/power windows (my first miata was my first car ever w/power windows), i said a lot of disparaging things about people who needed power options...

I recently picked up an '87 RX7 that has manual windows.. . its gonna be our race car... and in the class (classes... we're trying to balance both autocross classes and road racing classes... its tough...) we're planning, it has to keep them...

I haven't been able to even drive the thing, and already I want to just smash the windows out, and hope we don't get caught.

power windows don't really suck much power, nor weigh much more... they're just... nice.

get the r-package ONLY if you planning on racing it in stock class... that is putting in aftermarket shocks and keeping the stock springs, LSD, etc... otherwise it's not really worth it

and **** leather

TheMAN said:
get the r-package ONLY if you planning on racing it in stock class... that is putting in aftermarket shocks and keeping the stock springs, LSD, etc... otherwise it's not really worth it

and **** leather

He's not planning on racing it as it'll be just a sunny day car. And he had leather in his 6.

Katya4me said:
He's not planning on racing it as it'll be just a sunny day car. And he had leather in his 6.

Yeah, I dont' have enough money to pick up a racing habit :)

I did have leather in my 6.. Loved it.

I don't care if the miata has leather. If it does, good. If not, no loss.

you definately DON'T want leather in a miata... 1) it's a sports car and sports car don't need leather 2) the miata seats don't hold that well to begin with especially with leather (see 1) 3) the miata will be top down at least half its lifetime and sun + leather = baked gator skins

TheMAN said:
you definately DON'T want leather in a miata... 1) it's a sports car and sports car don't need leather 2) the miata seats don't hold that well to begin with especially with leather (see 1) 3) the miata will be top down at least half its lifetime and sun + leather = baked gator skins

valid points.. I was very concerned with open top + sun + leather.

We'll see what I end up with though. I have yet to find a miata up here in New England that hasn't been beaten to all hell.

Back