6cyl engine in the 3?

Insanity

There is no way that a stock V6 could stand anywhere near the current 2.3L engine we already have with a Turbo or Supercharger. A turbo or supercharger has much more potential of HP gains without adding all that weight. On top of that think of the computer, tranny, front end, alternator, water pump, power steering pump, electrical system, etc... that would no longer work if you swapped engines. By the time your done with all modding you needed to do you should have spent an ungodly amount of moneylol It would be a nightmare and if it could be done the Mazda3 Speed would have a V6 instead of the 2.3L turbo they have planned. Just something to think about.

Mikey444 said:
I was just thinking the other day that you can find a mazda millenia at a scrap yard with a good engine and put it in the 3. It's only 2.5 liter V6 but has 210 ponies, and s*** if you mod it even more. Putting a bigger engine in the car than what there is already, I'd want to convert it to a Rear-wheel drive for fun.
That's a nice idea, but the 210 ponies is in the S with the Miller cycle (not a fan, myself).... I'm not too sure there's a whole lot of mods out there for that one. Maybe a pulley kit? Know any good fabricators?

since we already been officially bastardized by having ford dna in it already(lol2) get the new cobra engine....

after that your next goal is trying to stop spinning tires and move foreward. that would be the sh!t to have a RWD Tweaked SC'ed V8 screaming down the track owning stuff it has no business owning!

Last edited:
Da 6 said:
since we already been officially bastardized by having ford dna in it already(lol2) get the new cobra engine....

after that your next goal is trying to stop spinning tires and move foreward. that would be the sh!t to have a RWD Tweaked SC'ed V8 screaming down the track owning stuff it has no business owning!

Can we finally dispense with the anti-Ford crap??? (notcool)

Ford bashing does nothing to further the body of Mazda knowledge and only serves to show that at that moment in time, you couldn't come up with anything more clever to say.

r1ceburner said:

Ford bashing does nothing to further the body of Mazda knowledge and only serves to show that at that moment in time, you couldn't come up with anything more clever to say.

I'm sure he was kidding. All Mazda3 owners love Ford if we didn't we wouldn't be driving Mazda3's. ;)

yes... kinda like picking on the lil brother poking fun...I'm stuck with the 2.3 duratec block too ya know.

r1ceburner said:

So what was anti-ford? Bastardized?
Would you have preferred "illegitimate love child"?
Besides, he did add a " (lol2) " and did go on to say how sweet it would be to have the FoMoCo Cobra engine.

Lighten up, Francis.

And Herb, not all Mazda3 owners love Ford. Personally, I can't stand Ford. I build and test Ford parts for 40 hours a week, I know exactly what kind of quality goes into them. I tolerate them in this case because a) I get a discount on the car, b) it was the best car on the market that fit my needs and desires and c) neither the car nor any of the parts were built by the UAW. Sadly, Hungary and India make better parts then the USA and that's where the majority of the 3s parts come from.
If the Matrix had a better power-to-weight ratio, I might have been driving one of those instead.

I was grooling all over PI's for the longest but the reason I didn't get one was
1) exploding gas tanks when rearended.
2) FoMoCo tranny.

there isn't anything too wrong with the for engines other than the pullys. Mazda 6 has a problem that hasn't been reconiged as a tsb yet cause most people hate to go to dealership to fix it. Pully went out at 42XX miles. It sounds like a loud knocking sound like loose heat shield whenever the compressor kicks on. As all american import owners I'm wishing I had the JDM version of the engine but thats a whole nother post.
*return to fantacy thread*
all these engine with slight modification will techically fit. clearance on the sides to actuly get tools in to mount it is where the fun begins. If you did get the cobra engine in...you would be the elite mechanic if you later went in and managed to swap pullys and headers. converting a fwd to rwd can be done but at a cost. Ther is a rwd drag neon out there and I can't find the post to post her so it's basicly a if you belve me or not type thing.
thanks GW

goldwing2000 said:
Besides, he did add a " (lol2) " and did go on to say how sweet it would be to have the FoMoCo Cobra engine.

Lighten up, Francis.

And Herb, not all Mazda3 owners love Ford. Personally, I can't stand Ford. I build and test Ford parts for 40 hours a week, I know exactly what kind of quality goes into them. I tolerate them in this case because a) I get a discount on the car, b) it was the best car on the market that fit my needs and desires and c) neither the car nor any of the parts were built by the UAW. Sadly, Hungary and India make better parts then the USA and that's where the majority of the 3s parts come from.
If the Matrix had a better power-to-weight ratio, I might have been driving one of those instead.

Francis? That sounds too much like "France", for which I am duely offended!

I'm sorry I unloaded my double-barrel 12-gauge bitchgun, but I think we all get tired of wading through every long thread, to sift out the 1 or 2 messages that actually had some meat to it. My frustration bubbled to the top and onto my keyboard. Sorry.

Da 6: Apparently you were kidding and I apologize.
goldwing2000: Eat my shorts. :rolleyes:

"My name is Francis... but everybody calls me Psycho.
Call me Francis... and I'll kill ya!"

"Lighten up, Francis."

You've never seen Stripes?

*edit*
Sorry... we're getting off topic.

Last edited:
also forgot to add....dropping in a larger engine and keeping it FWD will adversely affect your handeling. your car will be lighting fast in a straight line, but being nose heavy when turning left or right the understear will ovetake the car severely. also traction with fwd when you start getting in the 300+hp range. tranny and drive axles will need to be beefed up and a lsd if you plan on putting the whp to the ground with at least R compounds

I have a question that kind-or relates to this....While most carmakers, in the interest of weight balance, are shoving the engines as far back against the firewall as possible, why is my engine hanging way out in front of the axle? There's a TON of room behind my engine. Couldn't this car have handled even better if they'd moved the engine back? That said, I think there's plenty of room for a narrow-angle V6 in there, which is what I'd prefer to a turbo 4. The 3.5 Altima I just traded put out locomotive-like torque at low RPM..something turbos can't provide. Smoother, quieter, and more powerful in a usable RPM range. Didn't the deceased MX-3 have a small V6?

GimmeA3S said:
I have a question that kind-or relates to this....While most carmakers, in the interest of weight balance, are shoving the engines as far back against the firewall as possible, why is my engine hanging way out in front of the axle? There's a TON of room behind my engine. Couldn't this car have handled even better if they'd moved the engine back? That said, I think there's plenty of room for a narrow-angle V6 in there, which is what I'd prefer to a turbo 4. The 3.5 Altima I just traded put out locomotive-like torque at low RPM..something turbos can't provide. Smoother, quieter, and more powerful in a usable RPM range. Didn't the deceased MX-3 have a small V6?

I read somewhere its placed farther forward for collision safety.

Last edited:
yep and most FWD place it directly between or in front of the drive wheels. reason we have understeer :( why go big when you can go small....I went over my friends house yesterday. His crate motor came in! 2 rotor motor rated 160 before the contec(sp?) supercharger and holly carb was slapped on. super is like 1/3 the size of the engine. It rans 14.9 in a automatic and he's replacing his blew motor in his gsl. Let you know how that goes.(cool)

goldwing2000 said:

Lighten up, Francis.

but the mazda3 has a better driving experience. when my freind was buying his 3 we both both drove the matrix and it felt like a small minivan...weird seating position and steering wheel.

GimmeA3S said:

actually you can a crap load of torque from turbos at low rpm...moreso in fact. all depends on how you tune it. think rally cars. they have a shitload of low end power.

goldwing2000 said:
*edit*
Sorry... we're getting off topic.

You were acouple of days short. I never had a problem with any car, and I'm far from a "Brand Person" but I will say that will this car being mostly FoMoCo and being similar to the Focus was one of the reasons I got it.
Way to go Mod....Abuse of power!
impeach, impeach (strike)

AzMz3 said:
Way to go Mod....Abuse of power!
impeach, impeach (strike)

Posting messages is an abuse of power? (scratch)

You better explain that one to me, cuz it's looking like you're way out in left field.

maybe a few people havn't realized this thread was if you don't have the time or money is served as "Entertainment Purposes" If you guys realy think i'm bashing ford scan the entire internet and see what I think about HoNdAh VeHiClEs!

Back