626 Charging System problem

MadBiker

Luv my MP5!
:
2002 Protege5
OK, here goes, I wasn't sure where to put this so I stuck it in the Mazda/Rumors section but I hope you techies can help me out a bit so I can sound semi-knowledgeable when I go back to Firestone or a Mazda dealer. I did a search on "alternator" but nothing really relevant came up so here it is.

I have a '98 4 cyl. 626. The symptom is as follows: The charging system light stays on and the alternator hasn't kicked in. When it does, I can feel the engine shudder and the charging system light turns off. This only happens when, for example, we drive the car to store 1, shut the engine, come back and drive to next store, shut the engine, then come back, and boom, charging light stays on. In some cases it can take up to 10 minutes for the alternator to kick in.

The belts are not loose - I can see that everything is spinning on the engine.

Some more background:
The problem started with lots of squealing in the alternator about a 1.5 years ago. Eventually I had it replaced with a remanufactured alternator at a Firestone Svc. Center. I've taken it back 2x with the same complaint as above - they rechecked everything and couldn't find a problem. It's now been a year (1 month over the warranty from Firestone) but I still have the problem.

Any suggestions/help will be appreciated from all of you knowledgeable folks out there. Thanks!

Sounds like a problem with the internal voltage regulator in your alternator. Firestone may be putting inferior grade remanufactured alternators on your car. Try going to a place like Autozone, Advance Auto Parts, or Pep Boys and have them run a load test on your alternator. This will rule out any possible problems with the battery too. If the alternator is bad, buy one from one of these places, because you will get a lifetime warranty. Also, make sure the belt is good and tight when you change it.

MazdaDan, thanks, I was guessing that maybe it could be the internal voltage regulator. Since I've got it on record at Firestone that this has been a problem before the warranty expired, I'm gonna see what they can do for me (the particular svc center I've been going to has been pretty good to me) before I take it to one of those stores you mentioned.

I appreciate your time on this.

I took the 626 to Firestone this morning and since this is the 3rd time that I've mentioned it to them, they have decided to replace it as if it were under warranty - that will be done tomorrow, Sat. March 15 2003. I'm hoping for the best.

Back