$60k Mazda5?

X-Tanker

:
2009 Mazda5 Grand Touring
This dealer seems to think so. Obviously modified, but no details given about the modifications. I'm sure someone on here knows the story.
https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned)
$T2eC16NHJHoE9n3Kd2kKBQPnG0yscw~~60_12.JPG

Last edited:
it's a bit hard to get the kids out of the back seat :) ... see pictures - I wonder if this street legal and/or can pass emissions - they probably took the a/c out too.

I get my 5 serviced there. I told them they wanted too much for it. I don't think they really want to sell it that bad anyway. Its got quite a few dings and started rusting where they rolled the fenders. I'm still tryng to figure out how they got that dent in the roof.

Last edited:
IIRC they ran it in the one lap of America and rolled it at some point to end their race. Neat idea, but yeah I don't think they really want the liability of selling it.

Probably comes with a stack of waivers the size of a Grainger catalog LOL I would rock it, but 60K is more than a little bit silly. How, and/or who did the tuning, and how did they get it to run right. I seem to remember Car and Driver having a hell of a time getting theirs to behave....

I remember that same car for sale a year or 2 ago. Not a big market for race prepped minivans I guess.

Secondtyme, I was just talking about Grainger tonight to my nephew. Used to work there in the 80's and I wish I had stayed there. Anyway, I don't think they really had as many issues as C&D since they had no plans of keeping it street. Its gutted through out and that lone back seat seems like a fairly recent addition. I don't remember seeing it in there last year. The roll would explain the dent though...

I've been involved in amateur racing for a long time, and I've built, bought, and sold several race cars.

When you factor in the labor (especially for them, since they're a dealer and probably tracked every single minute, at shop rates) this thing probably did cost 60k to build. But the thing is, You will never sell a racecar for anything CLOSE to what it cost you to build. Maybe half, if you're not considering labor.

And the thing with this mz5 is, it's not even a racecar - it doesn't have a sanctioned series to race in. It's a (very well done) track toy, that you can take to HPDE's and the occasional "run what ya' brung" type event like the One Lap, and that's all. That brings it's value down even further.

I think the most they could realistically expect to get for this thing is like $20k. :/

Pretty sure this is the "1 Lap of America" Mazda5 that was featured here a few years back. Considering how it did in the races, its a bit of a score, but considering how it was abused in racing, I think $40K is a better offering price. For $60K, you can get a fully streetable car that will be plenty fun for weekend races, otherwise, in the grand scheme of things, I think that there are better bodies for full-time racers out there.

I've been involved in amateur racing for a long time, and I've built, bought, and sold several race cars.

When you factor in the labor (especially for them, since they're a dealer and probably tracked every single minute, at shop rates) this thing probably did cost 60k to build. But the thing is, You will never sell a racecar for anything CLOSE to what it cost you to build. Maybe half, if you're not considering labor.

And the thing with this mz5 is, it's not even a racecar - it doesn't have a sanctioned series to race in. It's a (very well done) track toy, that you can take to HPDE's and the occasional "run what ya' brung" type event like the One Lap, and that's all. That brings it's value down even further.

I think the most they could realistically expect to get for this thing is like $20k. :/
+1
I think they are hoping for "that" guy out there who happens to reaaally want a done up Mazda5 -which does not exist. For a fun toy pice tag, this is trekking into Ariel Atom territory. While it does cost a pretty penny to build, I think very low 20s at best bc "that" guy is probably frugal :D

Last edited:
Back