600$ for Brakes!!!

Dealer wants to charge me over 600$ to do both front and rear. When I called my service guy started laughing. I asked what the hell was so funny, he said "Your not going to believe this". And then told me the cost. Unbelievable. Just wanted to know if someone could please tell me how to change my own disc brakes since I will be getting the pads my self.

Thanks in advance.

WTF? really? how much of that was labor?
I dont think it should be more than 2.5hrs of labor.

also, for less you could get performance rotors and brakes... see the link on my sig

Last edited:
Is this to have the Rotors replaced too? Thats a ton of money to just have the pads replaced and rotors reconditioned but hey it is the dealership!

too much money. U could by all new brakes and rotors and do it ur self for way cheaper. Theres a workshop manual floating around the internet. Last time i checked it was something like protege.ugly.net. If not i do belive its on the forums

DUDE its easy, do it your self autozone pads 20bucks liftime warrenty... I can do front brakes on any car in about 20 minutes including both sides

Talk about getting takin in the ass. Do it yourself. Its really easy, including removing the rotors and having them resurfaced at any auto parts store. You should invest in a $20 caliper reset tool. Get a couple cans of brake cleaner, bottle of brakefluid unless you want to go with motoblue, than you should buy 2 cans. While your at it, order some speedbleeders to make the bleeding process a simple one man job. Remember to spray down the resurfaced rotors with brake cleaner before reinstalling.

yeah on my old integra gsr and every other car ive owned i used autozone brakes and did them my self front and back and free repacment total cost 30dollars, expept at about 180,000 i had to get new rotors. Theres an easy trick to bleeding your brakes all you do it take the cap off the brakefluid before you get startedand while changin the pads try to not spill too much brake fluid then when your done just mash on the brake pedal up and down about 10 -15 times with the brakefluid cap off and you will feel the pedal get hard, any air bubbles have came up through the brakfliud resivior. Done

autonation or whatever that new autoparts chain is has ceramic "dust free" brake pads for our cars 60bucks and no brake dust

Hah! do it yourself.... depending on your mileage your rotors probably dont even need resurfacing...brakes are easy.

I wouldn't bother.... resurfacing may even shorten the rotors due to less metal on them and not be able to disapate as much heat and could warp easier. If you don't feel a shake in the steering wheel when you brake "to hell w/ it" hah

This car warps rotors too easily, be careful with that.

Mine warped at 10K, not too hard driving either.

Luckily dealer covered the resurface job on that one.

Also, pick your brake parts carefully. Cheap pads or rotors (if you choose to replace them instead of just resurfacing your stock ones) make for a bad decision. Remember, this car has record-breaking brakes...and you'll lose this advantage with the wrong pad. Similarly, you may actually GAIN if you pick the right pad.

Back