5 things I hate...

prinefan5

:
CX-5
5 things I hate about the CX5:
1. Fuel door. Wish I didn't have to release it from low location on dash. Would prefer just having to push the fuel door to open.
2. Center armrest is more of an elbow rest. Not much storage space inside. Wish the top slid forward.
3. Having to press a button on door handle to lock/unlock. Many cars you just place your hand at a particular location to lock or unlock.
4. No front parking aid. Would be nice to have a warning for how close you are to object in front.
5. No coin storage... seems to me there's space by the left knee they could have a flip down tray. I use the tray in center console now.
Overall I like the car a lot. The pros far outweigh these 5 above.

1. Fuel door. Wish I didn't have to release it from low location on dash. Would prefer just having to push the fuel door to open.
2. Center armrest is more of an elbow rest. Not much storage space inside. Wish the top slid forward.
3. Having to press a button on door handle to lock/unlock. Many cars you just place your hand at a particular location to lock or unlock.
4. No front parking aid. Would be nice to have a warning for how close you are to object in front.
5. No coin storage... seems to me there's space by the left knee they could have a flip down tray. I use the tray in center console now.

1. They moved the fuel door release from off of the FLOOR finally for 2017--up? I had not noticed this improvement yet. Bless Mazda!!!

5. I do not know how people are using so many coins inside their car, that they need storage bins for them? Is this like the "USED RAZOR BLADES" slot they have in airplane bathrooms? (poke)

My #1 complaint for my current 2016.5 model, is the location of the "SPORT MODE" transmission switch. I want it on the steering wheel instead.

I'll play...these are minor first world problems, overall we are very impressed with ours so far.

1) Sport mode holds the gear too long
2) DRL's use the actual headlights
3) Outside rear view mirror adjustment settings aren't tied to the individual key fob
4) Doesn't have 354HP like my old Audi SQ5 :)

As far as the OP's list:
1) my 4Runner has the same gas door release location, I guess I'm used to it
2) agree
3) agree
4) doesn't bother me
5) I only carry hundred dollar bills :)

1) wish there was a way to remotely close windows without entering the car!!! If they've added that feature in 2017-2018 models I may have to do a trade in

- A/C is to weak
- center armrest doesn't slide forward
- I can see the wiper arm bend, in the windshield
- no place to put down a big phone

1) wish there was a way to remotely close windows without entering the car!!! If they've added that feature in 2017-2018 models I may have to do a trade in

why just not close the windows before you get out the car?...
I do get what you mean though. I was able to open and close windows with my key fob in my old lexus. never really used the feature though.

1. why not stick back wing a little more out?
2. why no automatic folding mirrors
3. why no aluminum gas, brake pedals (and foot rest)

Last edited:

The cheapest of the cheap car alarms will do this. Get one,it*s way easier than trading in a whole car for it...

1. A few of my cars have had this. I know people stealing your gas isn't as big a deal as it used to be but I see no problem with this feature and don't mind at all where it's at.
2. Center armrest is more of an elbow rest. Not much storage space inside. Wish the top slid forward. <--- This is like 3 separate things. :D
3. I don't hate this. My other car works like you'd prefer. It's better, sure, but the button is no big deal to me.
4. I would NOT buy a car that beeps every time I get close to something. HATE HATE HATE. Been driving a long time and I have never accidentally bumped a car or object while parking.
5. Does the 17-18 still have the little rectangle space cubby thing next to the shifter? That's a good spot.

Hate is a bit strong, more like quibbles?

Mine:
1) thin paint. It really is. I've tried to deny it but no... it's true. or mine is defective.
2) Can often smell the washer fluid when running defrost in the winter.
3) I'll update if I think of more...

I really like my car. I don't think 'missing features' is anything to complain about. You knew these features were missing when you bought the car so I don't think those things should make anyone's top 5 hate list.

Last edited:
Is this like the "USED RAZOR BLADES" slot they have in airplane bathrooms? (poke)

Rereading the thread and must have missed this the first time. Love this. BWAHAHAHA. Raise your hand if you've shaved on an airplane. Now raise your hand if you did it... with a disposable razor.

1) this is a security thing. You dont want people siphoning your gas.
2) agreed. Some people sit back enough to use it as arm rest but I sit pretty close so its an elbow rest I rarely use
3) sort of agree, I dont mind just having to hit the button. My wifes 2011 highlander just needs to pull handle tho
4) didnt know this was a thing. Usually I just get a sense of it from knowing the car
5) I use the center console removable thing for coin storage like you. You could use the cubby under the hvac controls tho

- A/C is to weak
- center armrest doesn't slide forward
- I can see the wiper arm bend, in the windshield
- no place to put down a big phone

The second gen has a spot that holds my iPhone 7 Plus, pretty big phone. Second gen Also hides the wiper blades when at rest from view.

Is 1 seriously a complaint, LOL.

As for 5, my center console has a tray I use for coin storage, but I think my center console is shaped differently than the newer CX-5's (since they took out the hand brake and put in the commander knob).

1) this is a security thing. You don*t want people siphoning your gas.

I don't think this is what the OP is referring to. In my current GTI and old Audi, the fuel door locks and unlocks with the door lock/unlock button. There is no internal lever to release the fuel door. You simply push on the fuel door (when the car is unlocked) and the fuel door pops open. Once the car is locked, so is the fuel door.

Is 1 seriously a complaint, LOL.

It actually is an inconvenience compared to what we are used to driving...when we first picked up the CX-5, i would forget that I needed to release the fuel door from inside the vehicle. Used to it now and its a non-issue...still less steps to fuel up my GTI.

That's a good list, although I don't mind 3, but my last car was built in 2000. I won't repeat yours

1: Pause before acceleration: there is a pause before accelerating when I give it full gas from near stop to merge onto highway or intersection. It feels very unsafe and I can't fully predict it yet. It makes me wait longer for an opening than I normally would.
2: No physical audio pause button: there is a mute on the volume knob, but I when listening to an audiobook on the sound system, I want to be able to instantly pause without taking my eye off the road. The Phone hang up button on the steering wheel could be a good dual purpose.
3: Navigation is nearly useless
4: Paint chips too easily. I have clear bra coverage, but still have chips high on the hood and on the driver's door.
5: Would like higher towing capacity. Currently rated 1000 without trailer brakes, 2000 with trailer brakes. Light trailers don't come with surge brakes.

In response to OP
1. 18' is moved up to under the dash. Either way isn't a big deal
2. Never noticed. Not an issue for me.
3. Not a concern. Sometimes I press the button when its already unlocked and it beeps at me but that's my own fault
4. Would be a nice to have. Not sure I'd want to pay extra for it.
5. Not having one is one less thing to keep organized

Here are my top 5.
1. The lane assist is not adjustable and it is wayyy too conservative
2. The walk away key fob is extremely sensitive to magnetism and other electrical interference. It also have a limited range. It only works 75% of the time for me
3. As mentioned in an earlier post the sports mode is too aggressive once you hit 80-85mph. It'll hold at around 5.5K RPM even once the speed stabilizes
4. The trunk button doesn't work while the car is running but in Park. Hopefully I'm missing something here but I use it when I drop other people off and right now I have to completely turn the car off
5. Perhaps its a phone issue/software issue but about 50% of the time the alert will tell me I'm getting a message from the wrong person (usually people i haven't talked to in years)
Bonus: Entering info into the Nav makes the nav almost useles.... but its not part of the list because i usually just use my phone.

Things I love
Adaptive Cruise Control
Auto High Beams
Next Cross Road Feature on Dash
Great Styling Exterior and Interior
Seat Release for all seats in the trunk

I actually like how conservative lane assist is. I get pissed sometimes when it goes off when I dont want it to because of the way the lines are painted with merging sometimes. Im glad its not so intrusive. But I do agree I wish the sensitivity could be adjusted.

4. The trunk button doesn't work while the car is running but in Park. Hopefully I'm missing something here but I use it when I drop other people off and right now I have to completely turn the car off

I know this one! Happened to me as well when dropping off items at the recycling event. Stop car, put in park, hit the UNLOCK button for the door locks, then press the hatch button. It should open then without having to shut off the car.

Back