$46 dealer oil change WTF ????

Rock said:
where exactly is the oil filter located, and how does one go about removing this type of filter? Is it like a snap on kind of thing? I'm used to changing out the screw on filters for all my friends' and my car as well. My car is a b**** to work on, not only is the oil filter located right above the passenger drive axle but the oil pan is directly in the way and the front anti-roll bar going through the middle. God I dread getting under that car and contorting my arm and getting knicks and scrapes just to change the frickin' oil :mad:
This is the filter element and removal.....and The adapter is part # L301-14-310 and a required gasket for its installation is # LF01-14-342 to go back to the traditonal oil filters

http://www.mazda6tech.com/in...task=view&id=24

Last edited:
Rock said:
where exactly is the oil filter located, and how does one go about removing this type of filter? Is it like a snap on kind of thing? I'm used to changing out the screw on filters for all my friends' and my car as well. My car is a b**** to work on, not only is the oil filter located right above the passenger drive axle but the oil pan is directly in the way and the front anti-roll bar going through the middle. God I dread getting under that car and contorting my arm and getting knicks and scrapes just to change the frickin' oil :mad:

It's on the front of the engine with nothing but the splash shield in the way. Removal and Installation are basically the same technique as a standard filter except that you unscrew the lower filter housing instead of unscrewing the whole filter. Crawl under there. You'll be able to figure it out. There are seven 6mm bolts and two pushpins holding the splash shield on.

DA 6's link didn't work for me, so I found another one the hard way. This link should tell you both how to change the cartridge filter and how to switch it to a standard filter design:
http://www.mazda6tech.com/index.php?option=content&task=view&id=24&Itemid=36

Last edited:
Back