40-50 Extra Hp

thanks man, i was actually looking into the difference between the 6 and the 3S 2.3. I would also like to know how strong our bottom ends are? how much abuse can they take? - TOT

Look at it this way.
A 160hp 4 cylinder that is 140 cubes is pretty good.
That Chebby of yours has a motor 2.5x larger.
If we were talking efficiency, a Mazda made motor that size.
400hp would be happening...stock...without a supercharger.

Seriously though, an intake might get you 5-10, an exhaust maybe another 5.
These things are pretty damn efficient from the factory, so it's pretty hard to squeeze out any horsepower without going boosted.

I get about 250 out of my Garrett GT28R on the Miata, which isn't a lot, but when you add the fact it weighs under 2500 pounds with a hardtop on, that's a pretty good number for scaring stock Camaro boys.

Just remember no replacement for displacement, and what the others suggest is true, it is always more expensive to do horsepower going naturally aspirated, the others are cheaper per hp, but cost a lot more. Figure $3k for a SC, and $5k for a decent turbo kit. I'd probably spend $500 and do the intake and have a shop custom up an exhaust and leave it. Neither will trash the warranty, and that will give you an edge on anyone else that rolls up on you with a 3 that gets frisky.

I believe our pistons/rods are forged pieces, not sure about everything else, but it's good for at least 250-300hp. Enough for boost or agressive NA setup. The weak point on the mechanics side of these vehicles is more than likely the transmission AND the lack of any LSD/quaiffe. ALL the manual 2.3 motors that are dragging are having hella hard time getting traction STOCK. Could also be that they are launching at too high an rpm. (bang)

Of course we won't know unless someone actually goes out and tests the limits, and believe me it WILL NOT be me.

Last edited:
Piston's aren't forged. They're hyperleutic. (Or however thats spelled). The rods are sinister forged, and the crank is a standard cast iron. (with 8 balance weights).

The primary disadvantage of the 3s/6i's engine is its extremely long stroke (which puts alot of stress on the rods, which is why their the only forged component).

87.5 x 94.0 (bore x stroke)

There's already been more then one turbo'd 6i, and pushing 7psi, their falling around the 200-220 WHP mark.

Yup, that long a stroke, some H beam Carillo's would be the way to play.

2nd gen Miata rods pretzel at 12, and they don't have that long a stroke, so the answer would be 8psi or more, got to go forged, or pay the piper.

Back