4 to 5 lug swap requirements

rydy

:
2001 Protege
Hello all, I'm new to posting on this forum. I am wondering how much work is involved in switching 2 cars spindles and whatnot. I'd like to rob my old ES of the 5 lug stuff and put it on my new LX so I can use my same wheels and such. If its not a difficult swap I would like to put the LX gear back on the ES so I could sell or do something else with it.

I did a little search but I wasn't able to come up with any specific information on what needs to be done to make it happen. Im assuming the brakes in the back might be the largest issue converting them to discs.

Does anyone know if they share the same front calipers? Thanks, any information you guys can provide would be great.

if you have both cars already, just swap as much as you possibly can. front calipers are different.

Hello all, I'm new to posting on this forum. I am wondering how much work is involved in switching 2 cars spindles and whatnot. I'd like to rob my old ES of the 5 lug stuff and put it on my new LX so I can use my same wheels and such. If its not a difficult swap I would like to put the LX gear back on the ES so I could sell or do something else with it.

I did a little search but I wasn't able to come up with any specific information on what needs to be done to make it happen. Im assuming the brakes in the back might be the largest issue converting them to discs.

Does anyone know if they share the same front calipers? Thanks, any information you guys can provide would be great.

They will share the same front brake caliper only if the LX is a 2.0. I know because when I had an 01 LX 2.0 I had to order parts from an ES/P5 front brakes. The rear I assume the LX has drum brakes. The only issue I see would be the parking brake cable unless they are both exactly the same You may also need a master cylinder or brake proportioning valve from the ES due to it being a disc setup.

It is a 2.0 LX so if that makes the calipers the same then it would save a lot of trouble in the front anyways. I don't have the LX quite yet I am assuming it has hard lines for the drums or are there hoses? I will have to size up the master cylinder and proportioning valve when I get it I suppose. Does anyone know if handbrake cables are the same set up or not?

Cables are not the same you'll need es e-brake lines

Bare minimum: 5 lug front hubs (pressed in with a new p5 wheel bearing), 5 lug front rotors, p5/es e-brake line, 5 lug rear spindle + hub, 5 lug rear rotors and calipers, rear disc brake lines + 4 new copper crush washers

Its beginning to sound like much more work than I was anticipating. Well the back seems like a lot of work, the front appears to be a piece of cake if that's all that needs to be done. There's so much rust under the ES I don't think I would be able to use the cables or brake lines from it without breaking them off. I appreciate the full list, thanks a lot guys.

Never had a problem. Been with the stock LX set up for a little over a year

Good to know.

Its beginning to sound like much more work than I was anticipating. Well the back seems like a lot of work, the front appears to be a piece of cake if that's all that needs to be done. There's so much rust under the ES I don't think I would be able to use the cables or brake lines from it without breaking them off. I appreciate the full list, thanks a lot guys.

No problem.

Back