3rd Gen. RX-7 Reviews -- Thoughts/Help?

i wouldnt daily a 7.

FDs are gorgeous, and are also one of my dream projects, but if your gonna have a 7, you gotta have a DD.

If you want good advice, go on 7club. There are ALOT of people daily driving their FD's.

Its all on the maintenance part. Although i wouldnt recommend daily'ing an FD, it is possible and even moreso if you live where there is nice climate all year round.

The sequential twin turbo has got to be the most complicated system ever created so yes that would probably be one of the reasons why you're FD would be down. That is if your engine is heathly to begin with.

If you want to daily your FD, i would suggest converting to non seq (which i did), doing all the maintenance, plugs, fuel filter etc etc and thats basically it. I dont daily my FD so i dont mind a little down time every now and then.

But luckily for me, the minor problems i had were NOT powertrain related, just other misc sensor related (knock on wood).

There are alot of people that daly their FD.. but its no their only car. they have another car to fall back on when the 7 crashes.

but most FD's get flogged so much so they are not in good shape and higher mileage.

Ideal...
T-II (Turbo 2 FD) as a DD.
3rd Gen FD as strictly a weekend/cruise car only.

^^^^
One day I'll have my FD...maybe next year...after I deploy...maybe.

There are alot of people that daly their FD.. but its no their only car. they have another car to fall back on when the 7 crashes.

but most FD's get flogged so much so they are not in good shape and higher mileage.

Thats not true. There are people who ONLY have the FD to use for their daily routine, because they blow all their money to get the car in the first place, they have no other funds to acquire another car for FD downtime.

A quick search on that forum will show you what i mean.

Ideal...
T-II (Turbo 2 FC) as a DD.
3rd Gen FD as strictly a weekend/cruise car only.

^^^^
One day I'll have my FD...maybe next year...after I deploy...maybe.

Fixed.

Any turbo rotary will not be as reliable as an NA rotary.

So if you want to DD something, get an NA FC. Because you'll be in the same boat with a turbo FC as you would almost with an FD.

To add to all this, its better that an FD stays as the only nice weather car anyway. My theory is the more you drive it, the more the "wowness" goes away. Everytime i drive my car, drops jaws and breaks necks, because i drive it like twice or 3 times a week. I feel like if i drive it everyday, people will be like, "o yeah i saw that car already, its cool" and that would be the end to that. Nothing is more satisfiying when you're driving your car and everyone looks, people give a thumbs up, people actually take pics and say "nice!!" when you pass by. It what i thrive for. I know because back in the day when i was younger, i used to do the same thing when i saw a nice car. So now i know.

Plus the suspense building up on days i DONT drive it, makes me more excited and anxious for the days i know i WILL drive it.

Its a win win situation basically.

Last edited:
ok so not EVERYONE has a backup car.. but EVERY FD hell EVERY rotary owner I know of but maybe 1-2 have other cars they drive for a daily.

I think if u have a turbo rotary (FC, FD, or kitted FB/RX8 u should have a back up..

Ok but that still doesnt sway away from the fact that there are ALOT of FD owners who daily drive their car, whether they have a backup car or not.

I dont condone daily driving FD's anyway. The car should be a weekend car, thats just me though. If i had a ferrari, i would weekend that car. If i had a 911 turbo, i would weekend that car. Im sure those car owners also have backup cars. Whether they do dd those "weekend" cars or not.

To sum it up, yes you CAN daily drive an FD.

Should you? It depends but i dont recommend it. And i already stated why.

If he's selling a properly swapped LSx (or is it another type of v8?), then that should go for more than 12k. The fact that he wants 12k obo makes you wonder on whats going on with that car.

If he can show you some receipts of who did the work and what parts went into the swap, you could look at a pretty good flip if you do decide to buy the car and not really care for the swap, just buy it to flip it.

Or just to have an LSx powered FD, cause 12k is a steal.

If he's selling a properly swapped LSx (or is it another type of v8?), then that should go for more than 12k. The fact that he wants 12k obo makes you wonder on whats going on with that car.

If he can show you some receipts of who did the work and what parts went into the swap, you could look at a pretty good flip if you do decide to buy the car and not really care for the swap, just buy it to flip it.

Or just to have an LSx powered FD, cause 12k is a steal.

Yeah its an LS1... But it says in the sale that the aftermarket front bumper needs to be replaced and the whole interior needs to be redone...

Thats still a steal.

BUT only if, like i said, the swap was done properly.

A person who even does the swap themselves, using proper parts (quality as well) would spend up to 10-12k on that alone, not including gaining some profit from selling the rotary related parts. Having a person do the swap for you would run like 15k.

But hey, if the car drives and an interior and bumper is all it needs, i would jump on it. You're even better off cause he said OBO so i would go there with 10.5 or 11k in hand and i bet he'll let it go.

That would be awesome... but I'm not buying... I was just looking... See the sig, I already have my new car for a while.

Back