3k Vibrations Please Help

Auto Rage

:
02 Pro 5 and 01 MP3
hey guy wanted to see if you any of you guys have experinced this problem i'm having. I have 02 p5 and at about 3k to 3200 i have this vibration and it goes away at about 3500 to 4k. PLEASE HELP!!

Do you have a DGM engine cover and/or DGM CF hood?

Auto Rage said:
hey guy wanted to see if you any of you guys have experinced this problem i'm having. I have 02 p5 and at about 3k to 3200 i have this vibration and it goes away at about 3500 to 4k. PLEASE HELP!!

have you recently done anything to your tires? I had some new tires put on the stock rims, and the duecebags didn't tighten 4 of the 5 bolts on 1 rim and it was making all kinds of noise, but when I stopped the car, I couldn't find anything out of place. When to take the rim off to check the breaks, and I found the prob. just my .02

If it sounds like metal rattling, it's problably a heatshield. That's what happened to me. I heard it at around 3K rpm and would go away once I reved higher. For me, it was the heat shield for the down pipe. I just removed it.

I know you said vibrations, but just a shot in the dark.

I have a high pitched rattle at the same rpms. souns like a linkage or one of the safet clips around the firewall. It really bugs the s*** out of me.
Sometimes it'll rattle from 3k to ~6k. Like a washer on a bolt, is what it sounds like.

I get that noise on oober cold days, just started when winter finally arrived around mid January, at first I wasn't sure what it was, had my infamous concerned look on my face when I started her up one fine chilly day as mum and I were heading out to go shopping and moms like "what's that" lol...looking more concerned than me and I was like "I DON'T KNOW" lol. it sounded like metal grinding, better yet a disc kind of grinding, I thought the fan might have come loose or broke and was wacking something because from inside the car it sounded like it was in the dash but when I turned the fan off it was still there, then I thought it might be my clutch because when going along in first (not all the time) and letting out on the clutch it made the same noise just quieter, so alas I popped the hood cause it was driving me nuts and discovered after looking around that it was my heat shield...I knew it was eventually gonna start to rattle because the bolts holding it on were black back in the summer so it wouldn't be long before they went. Now I just need some new bolts but I may just leave it off.

well i removed all heat sheilds from upper cat and lower exhaust pipe, vibration still there. the sound is more of a almost like when are exhaust is hitting up against something but the exhuast is clear of every thing even put my factory exhuast back on. sounds like it is coming from the driver side but just cannot figure were is't coming from?????(dunno)

My rattle is gone!

Since the past year or so I've heard the sound I described and have periodically checked to see if there were any loose nuts/bolts/wires...but nothing had been found. UNTIL TODAY(yippy) (yippy) (yippy) (yippy)

After looking for a minute I realized the clip that holds the floor mat in place is metal along with the corresponding rind on the mat itself. I banged on the floor a few times with my fist and it produced the same rattle. I turned the peg around and what do ya know no more rattle. Man I
feel like a freeking idiot. (hand) Maybe that's your rattle too....

Hi Auto Rage,

I 1st pulled my DGM engine cover since one of the screw holes broke, and it was vibrating a lot. Part of the noise went away, but not entirely.
Afterwards, I pulled my DGM CF hood since the finish was faded, installed the OEM hood once again, and now the rattle @ 3k RPMs is gone...!

Mine's a 5-speed, and I usually hit the cruise ctrl @ 35 MPH when in 3rd speed, and it's pretty much 3k RPMs for a couple miles, so that's why I know it's totally gone, and it was the CF hood.

Auto Rage said:
hood only why?

Back