3.7L engine reviews?

Mazda3

:
2007 CX-7 GT and 2008 Tribute GT AWD
We now have several 2008 CX-9 owners on board here, but still no real detailed opinions on the improvement of the 3.7L engine over the 3.5L in the 2007 model.

People who have had the 08 for a few weeks now how to you feel about the engine? Has anyone driven the 07,08, and MDX is close proximity? I would really like to hear a comparison between those three.

Let's hear from the 08 owners!!

I agree with your comparison to the MDX. I am willing to bet that the extra 30hp is directly due to Honda's VTEC system which doesn't even kick in until 5500 rpms and requires premium fuel. If you were to dyno both cars, the HP/TQ numbers should be virtually identical between 2000 - 5500 rpms, which is where most people drive majority of the time.

Personally, I hardly ever take any of my cars to that high rpms. 99% if the time, I'm well below 5k rpms.

Therefore, for practical, realistic driving conditions, both cars should feel virtually the same in terms of acceleration. That new 3.7 should close the gap pretty good. Mazda's Aisin's sourced transmission is bullet-proof. The only advantage now, that the MDX has, is the SH-AWD. Is that worth thousands more...I think not...

I agree with your comparison to the MDX. I am willing to bet that the extra 30hp is directly due to Honda's VTEC system which doesn't even kick in until 5500 rpms and requires premium fuel. If you were to dyno both cars, the HP/TQ numbers should be virtually identical between 2000 - 5500 rpms, which is where most people drive majority of the time.

Personally, I hardly ever take any of my cars to that high rpms. 99% if the time, I'm well below 5k rpms.

Therefore, for practical, realistic driving conditions, both cars should feel virtually the same in terms of acceleration. That new 3.7 should close the gap pretty good. Mazda's Aisin's sourced transmission is bullet-proof. The only advantage now, that the MDX has, is the SH-AWD. Is that worth thousands more...I think not...

08 CX-9 273 HP @ 6250 RPM & torque is 270 @ 4250 RPM (6-speed auto - axle ratio 3.46)
07 MDX 300 HP @ 6000 RPM & torque is 275 @ 5000 RPM (5-speed auto - axle ratio 4.53)

I have the 08 model but I only test drove the 07 once so hard to compare.

Though I must say that I am surprised how good this car takes off from a light based on weigth etc. It seems like have more punch at lower RPM.

I am pretty satisfied with the performance so far.

I stand corrected. It is not all at 5500 rpms. Did some more research on MDX.
MDX = Dual stage VTEC. First stage VTEC kicks in at around 4400 RPM, then a second, stronger push when the dual stage intake system opens at 5500 RPM.

Regardless the CX-9's torque of 270 @ 4250 RPM is pretty sweet.

True on the rpm--people don't often take this sort of vehicle to the redline.

I'm less sure that the transmission is bulletproof. A related transmission has been having issues in V6 Camrys, and I experienced a similar flaring problem in a Saab 9-3 Aero I test drove with the Aisin six-speed automatic.

I'm not saying the CX-9 transmission will have these problems, I just wouldn't assume it's bulletproof, either. My site's reliability info updates quarterly. If the transmission does prove problematic, it'll be reported promptly.

I have the 08 model but I only test drove the 07 once so hard to compare.

Though I must say that I am surprised how good this car takes off from a light based on weigth etc. It seems like have more punch at lower RPM.

I am pretty satisfied with the performance so far

+100!

Just bought the Grand Touring 08. I test drove a grand touring 07 as well. I like the power abnd sound of the 3.7L. Drives very smooth and has power available when needed. I only have 150 miles on the car, so I cant say more!

The same tranny is the XC90 V8 AWD(and various Hyundai products), I think it has more to do with how they tuned the transmission than Tranny itself.

And the 3.7L is sweet, I love to rev it.

The SH-AWD really needs more refinement because the MDX and RDX both either have understeer(which SH-AWD is supposed to correct) or oversteer, not neutral like it should be.
I'll take my Active Torque Split system thx.

Which operates by taking yaw rate, G-Forces, and engine info to determine when it should be at the 50:50 Split.

Last edited:
I gotta say, what really caught me by surprise is how smooth and refined is this engine, I mean, at idle u barely hear it, and in fact it sounds like a 4 cylinder!!! When u punch the throttle it shows how powerful it is!

The latest C&D tested the 2008 3.7L:

0-60 7.3 sec.
1/4 mile 15.7@91 mph

That's a .5sec improvement over the last 07 3.5L they tested and matches the times layed down by the last 300HP MDX they tested. The Acura was only 90 mph through the traps so looks like the CX-9 is pulling away at high speed.
(cool)

The latest C&D tested the 2008 3.7L:

0-60 7.3 sec.
1/4 mile 15.7@91 mph

That's a .5sec improvement over the last 07 3.5L they tested and matches the times layed down by the last 300HP MDX they tested. The Acura was only 90 mph through the traps so looks like the CX-9 is pulling away at high speed.
(cool)

Really that fast??? link please?

I went throught the article quickly. I guess the part where they said FWD didn't register :)
Still pretty good though.

Back