2nd to 3rd gear shifting problems. gear synchronizer maybe?

I'm new hear, 1st post w00t! I've spent the last hour looking for the answer. I stumbled upon a thread that another member had who said his gear synchronize was shot. Anyways that sounded similar, but I'm not sure what that means exactly. I have a 2005 mazda3 sedan. When I shift from 2nd to 3rd I can feel it grind. I didn't think much of it, because I've had this problem before in another car and nothing happened. About 2 days ago when I shifted it just spit the gear back out. Now it happens pretty frequently. I was wondering if it is the gear synchronizer, and if so how much would this typically run to have it fixed?

Any news? I'm having issues going from 3 to 4 consistently...anyone have some suggestions for Replacement synchros, or gear sets? GTX was mentioned in another thread....

when i go from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd I will randomly get a little grind, this is rare though. How many miles you got?

I've got 89k and change miles. . .as for gear oil, there's Mazda OE fluid in there, not sure if/when it's been changed. I have the grinding when completing shifts from 4-to-3, and on occaision 2-to-3, when I'm running at 6k+ RPM.

I'd be open to any suggestions on updating/grading the gear oil to help this, before I consider a tranny rebuild/swap.

change your oil. go with 75w90 syncromesh. from Penzoil, or maybe Aral if you find any. I did it and all my problems went away.

anybody notice a problem of shifting from first to second? feels like it catches when I shift quickly. Have had several misshifts and grind gears... have 50k on my tranny and as far as I know still the oe fluid

Change the fluid, i just did mine with mobil1 synthetic and it's even smoother than before. My protege catches 2nd quickly, try to get used to it by practicing slow 2nd gear shifts.

Latest posts

Back