2nd post: Possible solution for rear headrest issue.

Yep, our 3 has it. Too bad Mazda didn't raid that parts bin when putting the CX5 together.

oh, and they don't interchange. The pins are a larger diameter on the CX5.

I think they cut some corners so they could keep the price down. The headliner is better on the 3 too, even the cover for the moonroof is thinner on the CX5 (lets more heat in in the summer sun).

Last edited:
Could have at least made it a feature for the touring or gt and overseas equilivant trim lines.

Looks like the Volvo feature, my 2007 Ford Explorer had this.

yeah, it is so unusual for different cars from different companies to have different features. shocking.......

On the recent survey from Mazda they had section where they gave you a set amount of money and you had to pick from a huge list of optional items what you'd opt for with that money. It really made me have to stop and think as to what items I wanted more than other items. Everything costs and every post I read on here is someone else saying that it should have this or that or the other thing as standard. If you want that then go buy an Audi or Lexus..... although I was shocked that the IS250 needed a $5000 option package to get seat memory......

I've said it before everything in the automotive world is a trade off. I personally would prefer a car without folding second row headrests in exchange for one that doesn't burst into flames when driving it off the production line :)

Yes, I look for the best and most thoroughly engineered total automotive package. Folding rear headrests are nice.

This is Mazda USA's fault......

When it came time to selecting parts, they had the choice of two headrests.
1. The cheap bulky ones
2. The compact, but slightly more expensive ones

Every Mazda in the world except Mazda USA chose the second option.
Mazda USA's priority seemed to be price. Elsewhere in the world, there seemed to be an emphasis on options (and making some parts made optional in the US, standard equipment).

It's all just a sign of the times.

It's the US shopper's fault.
Look at all the Walmart's.
Everything is cheap... not always quality

I posted this in the other thread:

Mazda USA released the 2010 MS3 with the lower-profile headrests and then the subsequent years equipped them with the taller ones. IIRC, it was due to safety issues. I definitely prefer the look and functionality of the lower profile ones. Too bad Mazda didn't integrate the feature like they do on the Mazda5 where you can pull the tab to make the headrests flat.

But I suppose it could easily be due to costs. Tweaking things here and there as to not increase manufacturing costs. At least with the MZ3 and MS3s it's an option where you can swap the headrests. Too bad they're not interchangeable with the CX-5. Has anyone checked to see if the new Mazda5s headrests are interchangeable? They probably share the same with the MZ3.

There might be one reason for it that hasn't been considered....

The front head rests tested extremely well in crash testing. Actually, in a crash I think the headrest design has scored one of the safest scores this year in Europe (see Euro NCAP results on their website).

The choice of these headrests in the rear could be based on safety.

Maybe US safety standards are tougher for this kind of protection for rear seat passengers.

Latest posts

Back