28 ms3 vs 2003 evo?

castner

:
2008 mazdaspeed 3 sport
so my friend is getting an evo and im trying to work out which will be faster. my ms3 with an intake and downpipe or his evo 8 (this is the year with the smaller turbo) with tbe intake and an hks bov. im thinking that from a roll id be faster but from a dig hed smoke me. right?

I would imagine you can get him from a roll, but yea its a no brainer he would get you from a dig, unless he can't launch the car.

So close it wouldn't really matter...launch; evo always...roll, depends on how long...or if there is a single turn involved...the cars weigh the same pretty much, the Evo loses a little more to the wheels because of AWD...but starts off making a good 20 hp more to begin with...so also depends on what the mods gave...

again though with the turns...sounds weird saying that against a Mazda...but the Evo 8's are simply bat s*** crazy at cornering...

Last edited:
thanks guys. i also spin tires way too much (obviously) what do you think is the best width of rim for traction? i dont wanna go too wide because theyll be too heavy but spinning tires through 3rd gets annoying. i need traction to beat him ahaha

if the power is the same, there's no advantage with 2wd.

if the whp is the same...The advantage to 2wd (especially FWD) comes from less power loss through the drive system...less differentials, less mass to rotating parts, no couplers, etc...so you take 2 engine's with identical bhp ratings...the AWD system will sap an additional 15-25whp over the FWD system...

an AWD system makes up for the higher cut to wheel power output through traction, especially during a launch...and cornering depending on the system's design...but once moving in a straight line...where traction is no longer comprimised; the awd system will offer no advantage...and will actually take more hp simply to turn itself, rather than accelerating the car...

in this case...the evo's stock bhp rating is already 20 or so above the MS3...making up most of the AWD's additional power needs...so you are exactly correct...the MS3 pretty much has no power advantages, or weight advantages, for that matter...but at least he can rev the hell out of the 2.3L in neutral if he wants, where the evo's crank will happily walk right out...but now i'm nitpicking for no reason haha.

Back