225/55R19 Tire Comparison Table for CX-5 GT - Many to Choose From

Well, if you do let me know. If it's the same I'll save the $100+ but if not I'd consider it. Am concerned about the mileage people were complaining about on the Premier LTX but maybe it's conditions and driving habits or being AWD. Or maybe the Defenders? High mileage might mean stiffer ride. Not sure how going to a 235 (from 225) would impact the CX-5.

On the reviews at TR there are 21 people who left a 1-5 star rating but no comments. Typical though. Most don't say much if things are fine or great, but when bad...that's different.

The 235 would ride a tad better,but it would be a small trade off in snow performance due to a bit wider,and also about a 1 mph difference at highway speeds on the speedometer. Nothing drastic anywhere really,but I stick with the stocker size based on weight alone. Same for going for the Generals,roll resistance on the weight savings alone is worth it imo.

Well, if you do let me know. If it's the same I'll save the $100+ but if not I'd consider it. Am concerned about the mileage people were complaining about on the Premier LTX but maybe it's conditions and driving habits or being AWD. Or maybe the Defenders? High mileage might mean stiffer ride. Not sure how going to a 235 (from 225) would impact the CX-5.

On the reviews at TR there are 21 people who left a 1-5 star rating but no comments. Typical though. Most don't say much if things are fine or great, but when bad...that's different.

When I first had the Premier LTX's installed on my 2016 CX-5 GT AWD it seemed mileage did drop just a wee bit. But now after about 3000 miles on them I'm back to my normal 26 MPG commuting to work. LOVE these tires. SOOOOO much quieter that the stock Toyos.

Actually, if DT matches 1010tires on the Michelin Premier LTX: 225/55R19 99V

8/1-8/11 $70 off of 4 Michelins. The LTX Premier LTX -> $176 - $17.5 - $61 = ~$98.29/tire. The middle number is the sale price (rebate) per tire.

Last edited:
RT43's were a compromise of good value, but also good reviews for me. They are not the best, but I wasn't willing to pay for the best this go around. My Michelin Latitude Tours were definitely better at cornering hard as I am a spirited driver. But so far the RT43's worked well in standing road water (man what's with the monsoons this week? :p ), and mostly fine on dry pavement once I inflated them up a few more PSI. Can't speak for snow since I just got them.

I think pick whatever you want. Those True Contacts (in 19") appear to be rated well. Michelin Premier LTX would probably drive well in terms of the cornering like I like, but unsure about it's long term wear as my last set barely got to 50k miles (65k mile warranty). Don't know about the Pirellis.

Are you happy with your RT43s? How many miles you had them so far?

Spoke to Mazda and they suggested I speak with Yokohama.
Yokohama spokesperson said these are performance tires. If they wear out at 5000 miles - we will not do anything. They have zero thread wear warranty. Manufacturers like these because they ride quiet (laugh), Performance, smooth and they want buyers to feel good in the new cars. I said to him that these should atleast last 3 years 36k miles as most people buying a new car would expect it to last this long at minimum and he kept coming back to - they have zero tread ware warranty.

Its a major blow to me deciding to buy another Mazda at this point. Mazda did note this down as a defect (dont know what that means) - but between having to travel 30 miles to get Mazda's own oil and 20k mile life tire - I am at a point where I say it rides well but I think it is nearing the "I am only gonna tolerate this much for that rides well clause".
Might have to bring in used Taurus and Avalon as competitor to the new 6 I was looking at, but Mazda might loose this battle.

You'd receive a $50 Visa Prepaid Card when you purchase a set of 4 General RT43 tires in August. Tire rebate process usually is the easiest one as you can submit it electronically without even mailing in the UPC code and invoice physically.

Thank you!

Spoke to Mazda and they suggested I speak with Yokohama.
Yokohama spokesperson said these are performance tires. If they wear out at 5000 miles - we will not do anything. They have zero thread wear warranty. Manufacturers like these because they ride quiet (laugh), Performance, smooth and they want buyers to feel good in the new cars. I said to him that these should atleast last 3 years 36k miles as most people buying a new car would expect it to last this long at minimum and he kept coming back to - they have zero tread ware warranty.

Its a major blow to me deciding to buy another Mazda at this point. Mazda did note this down as a defect (dont know what that means) - but between having to travel 30 miles to get Mazda's own oil and 20k mile life tire - I am at a point where I say it rides well but I think it is nearing the "I am only gonna tolerate this much for that rides well clause".
Might have to bring in used Taurus and Avalon as competitor to the new 6 I was looking at, but Mazda might loose this battle.

It is not just Mazda. I've had OEM tires last less than 20,000 miles on Nissans, Hondas, and GMs.

The Pirellis are excellent tires. Our SUV has the Continentals and they are very good tires for the buck.

It is not just Mazda. I've had OEM tires last less than 20,000 miles on Nissans, Hondas, and GMs.

Michelins on Toyota Camry have a mileage warranty and are covered for workmanship upto 6 years from date of purchase or mileage level whichever is sooner. I dont care about Nissans / Hondas or GM - most like I am not going to buy their cars. For an eco family hauler - really crappy tires + the zero tread ware warranty is awful.

Are you happy with your RT43s? How many miles you had them so far?

Yes and no. I don't like their driving dynamics/feel as much as my Michelins going around corners, but they firmed up nicely with a few added PSI of air for how I like them to feel the majority of my driving. But I've had them on for less than 500 miles so far, so will see how I feel after I've had them longer. Considering the cost savings over the Michelins, I'm alright with the slightly lessened cornering performance.

Its a major blow to me deciding to buy another Mazda at this point.

Since it's you Kaps, I am going to assume this is a joke. The low mileage of the stock Yokohama tires is a mystery to exactly no one. With a UTQG rating of 280 B A, they are just not that good of tires and certainly are not rated to wear very long. I think it's going to be rare that you find cars with stock from the factory tires that are rated well, regardless of brand. Mileage warranty is one thing sure, but if you were expecting more than 20k-ish miles out of the Yokohamas, you're expectations are not in line with reality. I myself had to replace mine at 18.5k miles.

Last edited:
Michelins on Toyota Camry have a mileage warranty and are covered for workmanship upto 6 years from date of purchase or mileage level whichever is sooner. I dont care about Nissans / Hondas or GM - most like I am not going to buy their cars. For an eco family hauler - really crappy tires + the zero tread ware warranty is awful.
Apparently those 19" OE Toyo A23 and A36 tires on CX-5 GT do have excellent mileage warranty. SBMongoos got ~$61 per tire as the credit towards the purchase of ANY tires! He has 4/32" tread depth left after 19,000 miles. My Toyo A23's currently are down to 4/32" at 27,932 miles and may be I should check with Discount Tire and see if I can get some mileage credit like SBMongoos did.

The tires that came on my 2016.5 CX-5 GT, I'm told, are at 4/32. I drove off the lot on 10/31/16. The odometer recently hit 19k. These are the Toyo A23 I believe. I prefer Discount Tire based on location to my home and they always give me the best price (been doing business with them about three decades). I pinged Mazda out of curiosity about the warranty of the A23s and they had me ping Toyo. Toyo called Discount to confirm the 4/32 and the mileage. Discount now says that Toyo is offering me 35% off and I can use that on whatever I want.
I just swung by DT. I'm getting a $61.x per tire credit from Toyo and they already have it in the system and saved with some tires (we can change to whatever tire I choose). But the more miles I put on the more that credit will be impacted.

Yes and no. I don't like their driving dynamics/feel as much as my Michelins going around corners, but they firmed up nicely with a few added PSI of air for how I like them to feel the majority of my driving. But I've had them on for less than 500 miles so far, so will see how I feel after I've had them longer. Considering the cost savings over the Michelins, I'm alright with the slightly lessened cornering performance.

Since it's you Kaps, I am going to assume this is a joke. The low mileage of the stock Yokohama tires is a mystery to exactly no one. With a UTQG rating of 280 B A, they are just not that good of tires and certainly are not rated to wear very long. I think it's going to be rare that you find cars with stock from the factory tires that are rated well, regardless of brand. Mileage warranty is one thing sure, but if you were expecting more than 20k-ish miles out of the Yokohamas, you're expectations are not in line with reality. I myself had to replace mine at 18.5k miles.

If Mazda had high performance tires on a 2.5T Type R CX-5 - I can understand that, decision to put these on a car nobody would track - and then these tires not even lasting 20K miles is a stupid move on Mazda's perspective. This is a mid spec 26K CUV not a GTI or something similar. I am not pissed at Yokohama for making a tire that is this bad - which is ok as they are not top tire manufacturers and are pretty underwhelming overall - what was Mazda thinking of putting these on a mid level 180 hp CUV.

Anybody who knows a little bit about tires would not buy the same OEM crap again.

If Mazda had high performance tires on a 2.5T Type R CX-5 - I can understand that, decision to put these on a car nobody would track - and then these tires not even lasting 20K miles is a stupid move on Mazda's perspective. This is a mid spec 26K CUV not a GTI or something similar. I am not pissed at Yokohama for making a tire that is this bad - which is ok as they are not top tire manufacturers and are pretty underwhelming overall - what was Mazda thinking of putting these on a mid level 180 hp CUV.

Anybody who knows a little bit about tires would not buy the same OEM crap again.

On that front, I will agree with you, but I'm sure it's just them having a deal with Yokohama and the tires are probably cheap for them. Sadly, Mazda is not the only one using Geolandar G91A tires as their OEM factory tires.

EDIT: And agreed with Yrwei, I'd hardly call them performance tires.

Last edited:

Performance tires? No, your OE Yokohama Geolandar G91A tires are the cheaply made highway all-season light truck tires. In fact, P225/65R17 100H is the only size available from Geolandar G91A. Along with very poor 280 B A UTQG rating, all indicate this tire is specially made for Mazda CX-5 by request. Thiss nothing to do with Yokohama, whichs the largest tire manufacture in Japan. You got what you paid for. You can only blame it on Mazda, not Yokohama.

It might be how they managed to get the paper numbers. Skidpad and whatnot of a vehicle in a much higher class, maybe?

(cryhard)

Performance tires? No, your OE Yokohama Geolandar G91A tires are the cheaply made highway all-season light truck tires. In fact, P225/65R17 100H is the only size available from Geolandar G91A. Along with very poor *280 B A* UTQG rating, all indicate this tire is specially made for Mazda CX-5 by request. This*s nothing to do with Yokohama, which*s the largest tire manufacture in Japan. You got what you paid for. You can only blame it on Mazda, not Yokohama.

You sure about that, because I have seen them on many other non-Mazda vehicles here, mostly Subarus. I am absolutely certain that Mazda is not the only car manufacturer using Yokohama Geolandar G91 tires as their factory tires.

Edit: Perhaps they were the ones that requested the tire, sure, but they most certainly are not the only ones using it, and I highly doubt people are buying these at the tire store and putting them on their non-Mazda vehicles at over $200/each.

Last edited:
Back