220V versus 240V Outlet (CX-90 PHEV)

:
2024 CX90 PHEV Premium Plus
All the documentation for the CX90 PHEV says level two charging is available at home if you have a 240V outlet. We have a 220V outlet in the garage. According to a few articles that I Google’d, ”appliances” that are rated for 220V will do OK on a 240V line and vice versa… All the article said that the appliances are able to handle a slight variation in the voltage.

Will this be OK for the PHEV? The dealership could not answer the question. I sent a message to Mazda corporate, but have not heard back yet. I’m hoping that there won’t be any technical difficulties or cause any system issues and the only downside will be that the full charge will come back in two hours instead of 90 minutes or whatever the figure is.

Anyone have any knowledge or thoughts on the matter?

In a related question, who is using a professionally installed charging station at home? Which one did you go with?

Thanks for the reply. Correct, we live in North Carolina. When we built the new garage the contractor said it was a 220V outlet. Never really thought anything of it until recently. 👍🏼

Look at the breaker for that garage outlet in your breaker panel. 80% of the amps listed tells you how many amps draw you should be looking for on the charger. (e.g., a 20A breaker is good for up to 16A draw by the charger, or a 40A breaker can support up to 32A draw by the charger).

(The "spare" 20% of the breaker rating is for continuous loads, when something may run for 3 hours or more.)

220-240 is pretty much the same. The way they get there is they just double up on 110-120 feeds.
Most residential homes have 220-240 coming in, and it splits in two, which then gives you your standard 110-120 household voltage. Each Hydro supplier can be slightly different. You may get closer to 120v in one part of the country, whereas another area may get closer to 110v. Best way to check is with a voltmeter.
Either way, your charging station should function just fine on anything from 220-240V, just like your clothes dryer or electric stove.
As for amps, that will be determined by the breaker. The breaker itself does not determine the voltage.

220 is the old way of describing 240. For what it's worth, you can also call it 230. It's all single phase though.

Now, there's also 208 and 240 three phase. But that's a whole other thing, and is pretty much unheard of in a residential structure. Hell, even most commercial buildings don't have it.

220 is the old way of describing 240. For what it's worth, you can also call it 230. It's all single phase though.

Now, there's also 208 and 240 three phase. But that's a whole other thing, and is pretty much unheard of in a residential structure. Hell, even most commercial buildings don't have it.
Right on! Here's more on the subject if anyone is interested.

All the documentation for the CX90 PHEV says level two charging is available at home if you have a 240V outlet. We have a 220V outlet in the garage. According to a few articles that I Google’d, ”appliances” that are rated for 220V will do OK on a 240V line and vice versa… All the article said that the appliances are able to handle a slight variation in the voltage.

Will this be OK for the PHEV? The dealership could not answer the question. I sent a message to Mazda corporate, but have not heard back yet. I’m hoping that there won’t be any technical difficulties or cause any system issues and the only downside will be that the full charge will come back in two hours instead of 90 minutes or whatever the figure is.

Anyone have any knowledge or thoughts on the matter?

In a related question, who is using a professionally installed charging station at home? Which one did you go with?
For what you are describing, the terms "220V" and "240V" are sometimes used interchangeably. They are referring to the same thing.

Back