2024 CX-5 US announcement

Freedom55

2020 CX-5 GS AWD Montreal Canada
Released just after the Canadian version. There you go!

Looks like they're putting that useless PITA "I-Stop" in the S Select trim.
It reads like i-stop will be in all S models so all non-turbo models.

CX-5 2.5 S models feature Mazda’s Skyactiv-G 2.5-liter, four-cylinder naturally aspirated engine with cylinder deactivation. This efficient powertrain delivers up to 187 horsepower and 185 lb-ft of torque with either regular 87 octane or premium 93 octane fuel. New for 2024 is the inclusion of i-Stop technology, which improves EPA estimated fuel economy to 26 mpg city, 31 mpg freeway and 28 mpg combined, a two-mpg combined improvement.

Looks like they're putting that useless PITA "I-Stop" in the S Select trim.
To me the annoyance of the i-stop idle stop-start system is only a part of story. Those who is going to get the 2024 CX-5 with i-stop feature will have a big surprise when they need a new battery. The required Q-85 battery will cost you at least $500 which is only available at the Mazda dealer, and a re-programming is also needed!

To me the annoyance of the i-stop idle stop-start system is only a part of story. Those who is going to get the 2024 CX-5 with i-stop feature will have a big surprise when they need a new battery. The required Q-85 battery will cost you at least $500 which is only available at the Mazda dealer, and a re-programming is also needed!
I was not aware of this. If I end up with a CX-70, I suspect it will have this "feature" and I will be looking to disable it promptly if at all possible. I can't stand the stop/start in cars I have driven with it.

I was not aware of this. If I end up with a CX-70, I suspect it will have this "feature" and I will be looking to disable it promptly if at all possible. I can't stand the stop/start in cars I have driven with it.
Here:

Yeah, on my CX-50 iStop annoys me, so I bought the module from mikstoreph that disables it. No more annoyance (and a regular battery, when it's time - I hope!)

This raises an interesting question. I have i-stop disabled in my car (using an aftermarket module). So in theory, I don't/shouldn't need the Q-85 battery. Is there anything that would stop me using a group 35 battery comes the time I need to replace?

It reads like i-stop will be in all S models so all non-turbo models.

CX-5 2.5 S models feature Mazda’s Skyactiv-G 2.5-liter, four-cylinder naturally aspirated engine with cylinder deactivation. This efficient powertrain delivers up to 187 horsepower and 185 lb-ft of torque with either regular 87 octane or premium 93 octane fuel. New for 2024 is the inclusion of i-Stop technology, which improves EPA estimated fuel economy to 26 mpg city, 31 mpg freeway and 28 mpg combined, a two-mpg combined improvement.
now i see it more clearly that they're not just trying to please the EPA and CAFE people, but also potential customers, who might go for one of the cx-5's several competitors that achieve better MPGs. trying to close that gap, at least on paper.

Glad I got my 23 Turbo when I did. What was the second highest trim (with turbo) is now a step down. The base turbo in 23 was the best bang for the buck to get high trim options such as Bose and heated steering wheel, to name a couple. And you could do that for under $40K. That’s what sold me. Now you have to go north of 40 to get those options. I hope Mazda doesn’t lose sight of the fact that they offered a lot of value for the price point. It sure seems like they are though as they try to make a splash in the luxury market.

Mazda uses a “i-stop OFF” button on the switch panel to disable the i-stop idle stop / start system manually. Unfortunately the default is enable each time you start the engine. Hence if you don’t want the i-stop, you have to press the “i-stop OFF” button each time you start the engine which is also annoying.

3C892AC4-5218-419C-8CC9-D9C02B469415.jpeg

I personally have never experienced the i-stop or idle stop-start system until I drove a rental 2023 Citroën C4 “gas” 1.5L NA during the 4,527-km / 2812.947-mile road trip in Spain、Portugal、France、 Andorra several weeks ago. All drivers found the idle stop-start is annoying. The good thing is as long as we select “Normal” or “Sport” mode instead of “ECON” mode on a Drive Mode selector switch next to the automatic transmission gear switch, the idle stop-start won’t be activated. And the Drive Mode selected will be kept during the next engine start. We gave up using the “ECON” mode very soon even though it may save some gas and the gas price is high there.

86022084-B451-40BF-A8D6-0C86003D8C92.jpeg

I also noticed this today: "Apple CarPlay and Android Auto that now feature touchscreen functionality."

Glad to see there is a defeat button on the dash and a module to completely disable the i-stop if desired.

I also noticed this today: "Apple CarPlay and Android Auto that now feature touchscreen functionality."

Nice, it only took 7+ years for them to figure it out that buyers want touchscreens.

For years they've used a touchscreen with idiotic "lockout" functionality that prevents the touchscreen from being used while vehicle is in motion (aka, while you are actually using the vehicle), all while numerous other brands have no such idiocy. Which wouldn't be an issue if there was ANY way to disable it without a very complex procedure of hacking the firmware, voiding the warranty, and potentially bricking a very expensive part, but there isn't. Then, from 21 until now, no touchscreen at all.

I guess it took literally every other competitor offering one for them to make the change.

Last edited:
The base 2.5S is no longer available however in Canada we still have the base GX but we don't have the new Platinum Quartz color, can't win them all!

Back