2023 CX-9 Power Liftgate Issues

I have a 2023 CX-9 with a power liftgate. There are many times when opening from via the fob it only opens a third to half way. I then need to close it and re-open and it will then open completely. Any thoughts on what could be going on? I did have a factory mazda hitch installed in January when we purchased the car. Not sure if maybe the hitch could interfere with a potential safety sensor?

The hitch could be interfering with the hands-free liftgate sensor, if your car has that feature. It may be sensing the hitch as an obstruction, or confusing the hitch with the kick gesture, triggering it to stop.

I have this same problem on my 2020 CX-9 and just scheduled it in for another service. 3 dealers have looked at this and tried resetting it to no avail. I also have an OEM hitch as well.

Hmmm...so if the hands-free sensor was disconnected would the liftgate work correctly every time...maybe worth checking, or maybe just tape over the eye for a test. Can the sensor's aim be adjusted?

The sensor seemed to be a strip across the bumper, so disabling might be a fuse or disconnecting a connection?

Here's the aftermarket kick sensor (and installation guide). So wondering if just getting the dealer to disconnect it would solve the problem, since the sensor is pretty useless with the hitch installed.

Here's the aftermarket kick sensor (and installation guide). So wondering if just getting the dealer to disconnect it would solve the problem, since the sensor is pretty useless with the hitch installed
I didn't see a link from you but I found this... install kit/images. I think I could just find the plate and disconnect it. The off thing is that I have the hands free lift date disabled under the exterior settings.

Sorry, that's what I meant to link to. I see some references to turning off the hands free lift gate setting but I can't find out how on my 2020. Wonder if that was added in later years.

Just got back from the dealer and specifically asked them to disable the hands free sensor and so far it seems to have worked.

Not sure if they disconnected it but they did deactivate it in the car settings under vehicle > door locks and said not to recheck it. I swore I looked before and had not noticed that setting.

So far it’s been working fine since but none of the 3 dealers I had look at this problem knew that they needed to disable that setting when I complained about the problem.

Thanks for the update. I have mine disabled under setting but it is still not functioning properly. I'm probably going to take it into the dealer to get evaluated. I'll keep folks posted.

For your information. I do have Mazda CX-9 GT (in Canada) 2022. It does have hands-free liftgate and also I have a dealer installed hitch. It's been a year almost and never had a single problem with my liftgate. The feature actually works as intended - the only thing is, since the hitch covers the middle portion of the sensor, I had to learn how to kick it beside it and then I just need to stick my foot a little bit further for the sensor to register it but it works 99% of times.

Now I need to remember to turn off the function in the infotainment system before installing for example a bike rack so not to trigger the hatch to open by accident. And yes you can simple turn the function off without physically disconnecting anything.

However I remember reading in one of the installation manuals from US that installing the hitch basically eliminates the hands free option and dealers suppose to disconnect the connector and power to the sensor. Most likely to avoid situation like mine when by accident you can trigger the hatch to open or close when your bike rack is on. Anyway my dealer did not bother with it and I am grateful to him for his disregard of the manual:).

Maybe for you they just messed up something during the hitch installation process. or the problem lies entirely somewhere else.

Last edited:
I think depending on the specific hitch design, the hands free sensor may or may not work. Mine was OEM in Canada, but I've seen some comments that one of the Curt hitches still works with it.

Back