2020 CX-9 gets a 10 ft lb bump in torque with 93 octane

This feels a lot like when the Corvette was rated at 350 horsepower and the Camaro at 305 back in the early 2000s...sounds a lot like rerating vs actual change.

This feels a lot like when the Corvette was rated at 350 horsepower and the Camaro at 305 back in the early 2000s...sounds a lot like rerating vs actual change.

Could be. That was such a joke. Unlikely the different exhaust and air box setups resulted in a 45 hp difference for the ls1.

My ws6 put down close to the corvette ratings at the wheels with just bolts ons and a tune.

Could be. That was such a joke. Unlikely the different exhaust and air box setups resulted in a 45 hp difference for the ls1.

My ws6 put down close to the corvette ratings at the wheels with just bolts ons and a tune.

I raced enough corvettes in my 01 WS.6 to agree.

3. Off-road traction assist (which is probably just similar to turning the traction control off in that it will allow for more wheelspin) should be available on Sport, Touring, and Grand Touring, but that is reserved for the turbo models only as another incentive to push the more expensive trims.

I think it may also be available for the lower trims. Maybe they only specified the GTR and Signature because AWD is standard on those trims. It stands to reason that all CX-5s with AWD will have the off-road traction assist button. At least, that's how it's described in MNAO's description of the CX-9's 2020 changes.

Cameras?

Anyone here from Canada? I am really hoping those cheap bastards at Mazda include a damn camera on their 2020 CX-5. I held off buying a CX-5 this year because they stripped the parking sensors and camera features out of all Canadian models (even Signature has none). I'm not paying $50K (Canadian) for a car without a usable camera or parking sensor. My 4 year old Rogue has a 360 Camera, lots of selectable angles for assisting with tight city parking spots, and parking sensors. I really want to get back into a Mazda (long-time Mazda customer before my latest purchase...) but I cannot spend that kind of money for a car without cameras or sensors in 2019.

The backup camera in the CX-5 is lackluster, but it does the job. My only complaint is it has no trajectory, but that wouldn't stop me from buying the car. More importantly, the interior quality, ride, NVH are much better in the CX-5 than the current gen Rogue, as is the driving experience with the Mazda-built automatic vs Nissan's CVTs.

Interested in hearing more about this. If it*s just the tune, clearly you can safely get more power out of the stock skyactive turbo.

Well yea, some of us have been saying this all along.

Personally think I can safely get 30-40hp and 60-70lbs of torque easily out of the current setup, maybe a tad more, with better gas mileage to boot.

Wow no more Mazda navigation. IMO they are making mistakes removing features at a time their cars are getting more expensive.
I'd rather have a 2019 GT then a 2020 GT based on how it's being raided of features.
Is AA/ACP at least standard in all trims?

Yes - decontenting the GTR is a very unsound move

Yes - decontenting the GTR is a very unsound move

Agreed. It's hard to believe they really removed it rather than just reusing the existing Nav system, which does have decent voice recognition as long as you use the correct format.

To me the loss of factory nav is negligible considering we have Waze and Google Maps via AA/CP which are far superior (I rarely if ever use my factory nav as it's not easy to use) . The added torque, 8" touchscreen and paddle shifters on the GTR more than make up for this. Just looked and you can buy a nav SD card for $36 off Ebay - it isn't really a big deal. I do agree it's petty for Mazda to drop it as the cost is obviously minimal.

Last edited:
Well yea, some of us have been saying this all along.

Personally think I can safely get 30-40hp and 60-70lbs of torque easily out of the current setup, maybe a tad more, with better gas mileage to boot.

I hope you're right. The lack of HP bump at 5,250 RPMs suggests either A. The turbo runs out of steam, or B. Mazda bleeds off the boost at higher RPMs. Fingers crossed for B.

The nice thing about having the Nav SD card when you are not using the nav is the street display at the top of the screen.
I've gotten so used to this I think I'd be lost without it?!!??!

No one mentioned "Cylinder Deactivation in Mazda Connect". Does that mean you will now get an icon lighting up when it's working, or is it a setting you can disable now?

I hope you're right. The lack of HP bump at 5,250 RPMs suggests either A. The turbo runs out of steam, or B. Mazda bleeds off the boost at higher RPMs. Fingers crossed for B.

It is definitely B. This is done not just in Mazdas. Keeping the boost the same to redline without tapering off yields roughly 30hp just by itself.

No one mentioned "Cylinder Deactivation in Mazda Connect". Does that mean you will now get an icon lighting up when it's working, or is it a setting you can disable now?

Possible software update for older models?

Hmmm...Makes me wonder of the Mazda3 TCR engine is a skyactiv one or not?

"Motivation is provided by a 2.0 litre turbocharged four-cylinder that redlines at 7,000 rpm, and the mill provides 350 hp and 490 Nm of torque."
https://paultan.org/2019/10/02/2020-mazda-3-tcr-unveiled-2-0l-turbo-with-350-hp/

I think it's a display on the info screen indicating activity. I think the new 3 has it.

36+GTR and I don't get NAV..that's a fail! I almost never use it, I'm sure many would say the same but its still nice that its there type of thing..idk really strange move by Mazda here.

Disagree. The auto industry is trending this way and finds ACP/AA to be a better selling point with customers. So its no stranger than when Apple killed the headphone jack. I think its a good sign that Mazda is ahead of the curve on this one.

36+GTR and I don't get NAV..that's a fail! I almost never use it, I'm sure many would say the same but its still nice that its there type of thing..idk really strange move by Mazda here.

I don't use nav very often, but when I do I only use the Mazda nav. I like having directions on the HUD.

That being said, I've never used any nav system before, so maybe I'm missing out on some features (but what more is there than "Turn left 1/2 mile"?)

The driving experience with Apple Carplay in newer Mazdas is so good, I don't really care for the built-in NAV anymore. My experience comes from currently driving a 2019 CX-5 Touring while my Speed3 is getting a new clutch. I also had a 2019 Mazda3 AWD sedan loaner car a couple of weeks ago while I got the Speed3 brakes done. The new Mazda Connect on the 2019 Mazda3 is an improvement over the older version in the 2019 CX-5. The 2020 CX-9 looks like it will be getting the newer Mazda Connect system. Some will remember that I used to also not care about Apple Carplay availability on Mazdas a few years ago. My opinion has changed on it drastically. I'm now even considering replacing the stock BOSE audio unit on my Speed3 to an aftermarket one with Apple Carplay.

Back