2019 XC40 vs 2019 CX-5 Signature

I'd be more receptive to using a touch screen if A) the screen(s) were closer to the steering wheel, ideally with the functions/buttons in my immediate FOV, and B) if they provided haptic feedback.

attachment.php

View attachment 220082

Pardon the crude paintjob.. I would hope that actual implementation would look and perform a million times better (vertical adjustment, power tilt/telescopic adjustment, integrate back up cams or cross-traffic cams into the screens, etc.). Could come pre-programmed with a default setup that includes radio/audio and HVAC controls, plus cruise control. But it could also be configured by the driver to display other information as well, like engine and oil temps, boost pressure (if applicable), etc.

Maybe I'm just crazy lol

That's a ton of same-color. Looks very cheap. I'm sure it's quality feeling, but when I see that it reminds me of the "build your car" app on most dealer/brand sites how the base model starts before you begin adding packages or Touring model, etc.

Its odd that the guy says the Mazdas engine sound is unpleasant (he said the same about the Volvo), I dont find that to be the case at all, and Ive never seen another reviewer say it either, although most say it can get a little loud under steep acceleration, which is true.

I used to drive a 370Z, and EVERYONE whined about "high rpm harshness", but I never heard a thing I didn't like from that engine. I guess I don't "get" engine sound complaints.

It is funny how Mazda got dinged for having too simple of a cabin. I also hate those iPad like computer devices but that might be my age. I personally like the look of the XC40, but 10K is a lot of money!

Simple is absolutely fine, but it must be executed with elegance, a'la E92 M3.

I feel that Mazda got it right with the CX-5 interior. I prefer that simple layout and you know what in 10 years it will still look good.

I feel that Mazda got it right with the CX-5 interior. I prefer that *simple* layout and you know what in 10 years it will still look good.

You may have a point. Less to go wrong as well.

That's a ton of same-color. Looks very cheap. I'm sure it's quality feeling, but when I see that it reminds me of the "build your car" app on most dealer/brand sites how the base model starts before you begin adding packages or Touring model, etc.

I just pulled that pic off Google. It's probably a GT or Touring trim. Nicer interiors can be had by upgrading to GT Reserve and Signature trims.

Simple is absolutely fine, but it must be executed with elegance, a'la E92 M3.

Lol. It's definitely one of BMW's more tolerable interiors, but BMW interiors have always been one of the weaknesses of the brand IMO.

Also,
E92 Coupe, "a ton of same color"
attachment.php

E92 M3, "executed with elegance"
maxresdefault.jpg

Basically, your idea of "elegance" is swapping out the only premium looking bits of the interior for some boyracer red dash/console pieces and seats. Got it.

For the record, I'm not against sporty interior trims like this. I just wouldn't class them as a luxurious interior.

Last edited:
I just pulled that pic off Google. It's probably a GT or Touring trim. Nicer interiors can be had by upgrading to GT Reserve and Signature trims.

Lol. It's definitely one of BMW's more tolerable interiors, but BMW interiors have always been one of the weaknesses of the brand IMO.

Also,
E92 Coupe, "a ton of same color"
attachment.php

E92 M3, "executed with elegance"
maxresdefault.jpg

Basically, your idea of "elegance" is swapping out the only premium looking bits of the interior for some boyracer red dash/console pieces and seats. Got it.

For the record, I'm not against sporty interior trims like this. I just wouldn't class them as a luxurious interior.

No, my idea of elegance is the fact that the M3's interior (the first one) has everything you need, nothing you don't, and it's laid out in a very "German" way. The M3 is not the M5 or M6. The interior speaks to this. Don't forget where the M3 came from.

To me the Mazda interiors actually look more German lol. I say that as a good thing as I generally like Audi, BMW, VW ect interiors as they are usually very clean and logically laid out. Function over form if you want to look at it that way.

To me the Mazda interiors actually look more German lol. I say that as a good thing as I generally like Audi, BMW, VW ect interiors as they are usually very clean and logically laid out. Function over form if you want to look at it that way.

They do, but it's that awkward time-period where German cars had that pop-up crap instead of in-dash, which they have, mostly, intelligently gone back to.

2011 A8
2011-audi-A8-cockpit2.jpg

2019 A8
audi-a8-2019-80172.jpg

Mazda is just behind the curve, is all, which I understand and expect, but still woulda been nice if they weren't. It's really a minor quibble when the rest of the 2.5T is such a hit.

*In before the "Eeewwww...fake wood...it should be like Mazda's fake wood because that's the only fake wood that's okay! Oh...wait...that's probably actual, real wood. I'm a poor, screw that!"

Last edited:
I kinda like the wood look metal trim in the lower trims. It looks nice and wont dry out and crack like real wood.

The higher screen position is growing on me as I do really like it for nav.

Meanwhile go look at a Civic or CRV...... yuk.

IMO whats bad is this
c63d0841a8d8b0c57716b9ceb453bd45.jpg

Putting the buttons there is hard to reach if you have a proper driving position. Im glad Mazda put the buttons where they did. Also the touch screen itself is hard to reach which is also why the knob can be nice.

Is it odd that they are comparing the XC40 to the CX5? The XC40 is a subcompact, more in line with the X1, Q3, GLA class.
Shouldn't they be comparing the XC60 to the CX5 because they have almost identical passenger and cargo room.

Is it odd that they are comparing the XC40 to the CX5? The XC40 is a subcompact, more in line with the X1, Q3, GLA class.
Shouldn't they be comparing the XC60 to the CX5 because they have almost identical passenger and cargo room.

Yea I was thinking the same. I dont get their comparisons sometimes. Maybe closer price .......

No, my idea of elegance is the fact that the M3's interior (the first one) has everything you need, nothing you don't, and it's laid out in a very "German" way. The M3 is not the M5 or M6. The interior speaks to this. Don't forget where the M3 came from.

Weren't we just talking about looks? Or are you deflecting again? You're missing your own point. First (speaking of the CX-5's Touring/GT interior) you said, "That's a ton of same-color, Looks very cheap, I'm sure it's quality feeling, etc.".

The first picture is not an M3 interior as you claim (it's missing the stitched steering wheel and M badge, and the cluster needles aren't red). It is the interior of an E92 coupe, and it has a ton of same-color, which by your own admission, looks very cheap.

Then you said "Simple is absolutely fine, but it must be executed with elegance, a'la E92 M3."

The M3 interior is basically the same as the coupe interior in terms of design (aka execution), it just has some color. Which apparently to you, equals elegance, because the interior is otherwise the same as the E92 coupe's (which according to your statement earlier, looks very cheap).

I feel that Mazda got it right with the CX-5 interior. I prefer that *simple* layout and you know what in 10 years it will still look good.

I agree. My interior look is fantastic. What I don't like with the newer cars (not just Mazda) is the touchscreen head unit being replaced by these tablets popping out of the top of the dash. I get it, I just find it looks a bit odd.

Touchscreen design aside, commander knob makes sense and seems like a good idea. The driver in me does like having a real parking brake though in my pre-commander knob CX-5. I don't know...

Last edited:
Also, regarding fixed screens high on the dash, at first I was also turned off by them. But after using it for the past year, I've come to appreciate the fact that it's close to my FOV, and that I can still see the road while glancing at the screen. Having to look down at a screen is more dangerous as you have to take your eyes off the road completely. It would be nice if the screen could be retracted, but its one more thing to service and maintain, so I've made peace with it.

Exactly how I feel now after having this car a while. Really thought I would hate it. But its grown on me and now I actually like it. Just wish the system was faster and less buggy.

Back