2019 Mazda3 2.5L overheating issue

Hello! Occasionally, the temperature gauge rises above half (which corresponds according to the scan tool to 100 degrees Celcius or 212 F). Last week the temperature was around 230 F, no coolant leaks and the rad fans were working. The dealer tells me it's normal when it's hot outside...

gauge.jpg

Our CX-5 vehicles have the same CD-NA engine and related equipment as yours. Normal rad fan cycle for this engine is fan on at 212°F and off at 197°F, and that cycle is repeated continuously for as long as necessary, when idling or in stop-go traffic. So 212°F is very typical, but IMO 230°F is definitely not normal, regardless of the ambient temperature. You have checked the coolant in the radiator, and it's well up and visible in the neck, and the overflow tank is at least up to MIN, correct?

First off, I don't understand why the coolant temp would get to 230°F (and then back down again), because there's a mechanical failsafe thermostat in the coolant control valve, which fully opens at 221°F and drives the temp back down. Not doubting what you saw, just that I don't understand how it's happening.

It would be a big plus if you could either get a picture of the reader with ECT at or very close to 230°F, or perhaps capture it via live date recording. If you get that evidence, then you could open a case with Mazda Corporate, who would almost certainly ask your dealership to diagnose this abnormal issue.

Back